Listing my boat question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Called a broker we know to list our boat. He said his company only handles 6 figure boats and told us to call Yachtfinders. Anyone have experience with them?

Probably depends upon whether the broker is close to your boat. Not sure if they are a true full serve broker or more of a matchmaker. Hope others can provide details on their experience.

This is from their web site:

Yacht Finders is based out of Long Island, NY and has over 20 years of experience in the buying and selling of Cruisers, Yachts, Center Consoles, and anything in-between. We have expanded into New Jersey, North and South Carolina, Tennessee and Florida. We can also help with survey recommendations, sea trials, financing, closing the purchase, vessel transportation, boating lessons, and more!!

Whether you are buying your first boat or your last boat, we can handle the transaction from start to finish and put a smile on your face when done.

They want 10% of the sale price but anything under 100K is not worth their time. $10K minimum commision, thank you.

:dance:

Probably depends upon whether the broker is close to your boat. Not sure if they are a true full serve broker or more of a matchmaker. Hope others can provide details on their experience.

This is from their web site:

Yacht Finders is based out of Long Island, NY and has over 20 years of experience in the buying and selling of Cruisers, Yachts, Center Consoles, and anything in-between. We have expanded into New Jersey, North and South Carolina, Tennessee and Florida. We can also help with survey recommendations, sea trials, financing, closing the purchase, vessel transportation, boating lessons, and more!!

Whether you are buying your first boat or your last boat, we can handle the transaction from start to finish and put a smile on your face when done.
Thanks Ken, we are on C-6.

They want 10% of the sale price but anything under 100K is not worth their time. $10K minimum commision, thank you.

:dance:
A good broker has expenses. Yachtworld is not free. While we bash it constantly, it still is the best source for getting a boat in front of a buyer.

For a broker, it takes as much energy and expenses to sell a $50,000 boat as a $150,000, not to mention the $50,000 deals fall thru for lack of financing much more often.

I have an acquaintance who sells boats under $100,000. For years I tried to mentor him to be a better broker so that he could make more money. He just doesn't have the aptitude for it. He has made his world in the $40,000 boat market. He is always broke and has been driving the same care for 30 years. He constantly complains of deals falling apart and complaints from dissatisfied customers after the sale. I fully understand why a good broker has no interest in this end of the market.

We are seeing something similar in the auto repair world. The good shops won't work on cars older than 20 years. The factory support isn't there and they loose too much time chasing parts.

to be fair the time invested to sell a lower cost boat maybe about the same as to sell higher price boat. At least I will give them credit for letting them know up front what policy they operate under. I suspect there are Brokers out there that would go ahead and accept a low value boat as a listing but not put much effort towards actually marketing and showing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This attitude is pretty prevalent, but IMHO is shortsighted as well. Unless a broker has all the (+)
"6 figure" boats he can possibly handle, he/she is foolish to turn up his nose at a perspective customer, especially one he's known for years. Today's sub "6 figure" boat seller just may well be tomorrow's "6 figure" boat buyer.
In the OP's shoes, I would not consider searching for a boat through a broker who refused to work with me to sell my less than "6 figure" boat.
Boat buyers/sellers often have long memories, and we are no longer in the "Covid Madness Pricing" on boats, with it being a seller's market. Brokers, (at least the ones I personally know and respect to tell me the truth), are beginning to see a slow-down, and yesterday's snubbed customers will likely be looking elsewhere for a professional to assist them.

We listed our boat with Yachtfinders at the usual 10% fee.

Back
Top Bottom