Mainship Flybridge Helm Chair Fasteners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterg

Hi All -
Does anyone know how Mainship (2003 430 Double Cabin) fastened the flybridge helm chair to the deck? Thru-bolted with nuts on the underside (hidden by the salon headliner)? Backing plate embedded in the deck? Lag bolts? Other?

I need to remove the chair for a repair, but I don't want to touch the headliner. Afraid if I try to loosen the bolts I will potentially lose any nuts on the underside, or the nuts will just spin.

Thanks,
Peter

On a previous boat I fastened the second helm seat to the deck by using a hole saw in the middle of the seat base so I could put tapped aluminum backing plates in from the top. Does your seat base have a large hole in the middle? If so you might be able to drill a hole and feel what is under the deck. I used a base that bolted to the deck and then the pedestal base bolted to it.

The base plate was similar to this one except it had a large hole in the middle. You bolt the base plate to the deck and then bolt the seat pedestal to the base plate. You could cut a large hole in this base plate to be able to stick the backing plates in under the deck.

Garelick 75056-G Detachable Pedestal Plate​

I also didn’t want to mess with the headliner. I carefully used a hole saw to cut through the deck so I could slide 6 3/8” aluminum plates under the deck plate bolts. It worked well.

Last edited:
Yeah, that would be a smart way to do it. As far as I can tell, the seat post does not detach from the base, although perhaps they are just corroded together. I will investigate that aspect further.

I did a search but didn’t see the exact plate that I used but it was like the one in my previous post except it had about a 3” hole in the middle. It was pretty easy to do. In case you loosen yours up and can’t get it tightened back up you could do it the way I did.

Comodave, Sibernut - thanks for the ideas. I'm just gonna have to open it up and see what I find.

I was happy to discover my helm chair was already installed with a base plate, as Comodave suggested. Easy to see after removing the (indoor) carpeting the PO had installed between the base plate and the chair pedestal.

Attachments

• Chair.jpeg
    Chair.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 15
  • Chair pedestal.jpeg
    Chair pedestal.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 12
It's 1/4-20 flat head bolts attached to embedded plates.
I removed standard "bench" seat with two posts, installed plate on original attachment points and put new single post chair. Now i can adjust height, rotate the chair to dining table and have a more comfortable seat when underway. Currently on the Loop and appreciate this mod.

Attachments

• 20240126_144207.jpg
    20240126_144207.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240302_102912.jpg
    20240302_102912.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240302_103001.jpg
    20240302_103001.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 16
That's a nice solution Migor, and a nice helm chair! My 430 came with the single helm chair, which I also prefer to a bench seat.

Back
Top Bottom