Mainship Samson post/bit bollard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LIS Mainship

We have a new-to-us Mainship 34T with what appears to be a nice Samson post (or bit bollard) on the foredeck. There are also 2 stainless cleats on either bow. The problem with the post, though, is it seems to not have a fair lead for any use other than the anchor rode when anchoring, because the bowsprit & ground tackle are in the way if you try to use it for mooring or towing, and there are no chocks on the bow.

How do folks use this nice hunk of stainless, or is it more an aesthetic accessory? I've also considered moving the cleats & installing chock/cleats to provide a fair lead.

Any insight appreciated & thank you...

Welcome aboard. How about a photo or two of it so we can see the angles.

Have the same set up on our 400. I always tie off to it for anchoring, it’s the most solid tie off point on the boat. For moorings though, I usually use two lines, one on each bow cleat, looped through the mooring pennant and back to the cleat.

At the dock I put a forward running spring line over it.

It’s useful for hurricane ties as you can get four lines on it as opposed to only two on a cleat.

We use it to tie off the anchor, but if I had an anchor bridle, I'd use the bridle for overnight anchoring. The noise the anchor rode makes when it jumps out of the roller keeps me awake and I need to wear ear plugs.

Thanks for the fedback, 'll try to post a few phiitos.

I like the idea of a bridle off the cleats...still have the impression the post is situated somewhat impractically.

Thanks again.

I never found a good use for it other than additional lines for storm prep.

I never found a good use for it other than additional lines for storm prep.
I use it almost every time I back into our home slip. My bow lines off pilings have spliced eyes and are extra long. I pick up the windward side with a boat hook and quickly drop over the post and drift over to the leeward side to pick the second one up. Length is set so I can reach the piling with the boat hook but boat can't hit dock or piling.
I then have time to secure other lines and do final adjust on bow lines.

I don't have / use a bridle but wonder if it would be possible to drop eyes over the post and use the cleats as a chock? Maybe add chafing protection from eye to beyond the cleat. I'm guessing the chain weight would keep the bridle against the aft end of the cleat. I'm thinking the semi-balanced load on the post with bridle is much better than on the cleats.

I don't have / use a bridle but wonder if it would be possible to drop eyes over the post and use the cleats as a chock? Maybe add chafing protection from eye to beyond the cleat. I'm guessing the chain weight would keep the bridle against the aft end of the cleat. I'm thinking the semi-balanced load on the post with bridle is much better than on the cleats.

You might well have a point about using the post rather than the cleats. it reminds me of some photos I have of the installation of the bow cleats on a 34T (not mine).

Attachments

• DSCN5660.jpg
    DSCN5660.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN5663.jpg
    DSCN5663.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 32
Regarding using the existing cleats, thats why I'm considering the installation of chock/cleats...it would provide that functionality.

Thanks.

I can only see the Sampson post being used two ways:

1) anchor chain snubber through the pulpit. I don't like this method because I don't trust putting that much force on the pulpit. I run my anchor bridle to my cleats (I don't have a sampson post).

2) anchor bridle or dock lines through cleats (cleats as chocks) back to the post.

Mid 2000 series 34T Mainship bow cleats absolutely need to have a backing plate added. At least they are easy to access unless most things on boats. LOL.

Don

I have a "new to me" 2009 34T which didn't come with the factory Sampson post per the photos.
It did come with the factory anchor package which only has a token amount of chain. To date I haven't anchored but am thinking I'll need a bridle that I hook up to the nylon rode using a "Prusik Knot", which I've never done.
Seems like a poor design from the factory, not providing some means to take load off windlass when anchored.

Any suggestions on a bridle or alternative means to secure a anchor rode?

Attachments

• 20230620_161559.jpg
    20230620_161559.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230620_161459.jpg
    20230620_161459.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom