Maretron GPS 100 antenna issue, gurus welcome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

balder8

Vessel Name
BALDER VIII
Vessel Make
North Sea Trawler 57' OC
Hi everybody,

One of my GPS 100 Maretron antenna in my NMEA 2000 system refuses to confirm where I am located on this small planet... I tried a cold start, no answer.
Sometimes, it looks like fix will stay but it is flashing one second and stops.
Voltage at the connector under the GPS 100 Maretron antenna is ok, NMEA circuit is ok, all DSM displays are ok as well.
I read that there is a small Lithium battery in this discontinued product... which needs 5 hours to be recharged when the system has been shut down for few months ( which is my case)
I have opened succesfully the cover on the antenna receiver and see a small electronic platine.Perhaps is it possible to find some replacments parts
In US you are definitely more familiar with Maretron products,advice or experiences with this GPS will be really appreciated.
Below a picture of my trawler, end of refit, new paint in Benicarlo Varadero, in Spain, the orange colour scheme ( Hermès!)

Attachments

• IMG-20221104-WA0010 (1).jpg
    IMG-20221104-WA0010 (1).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20221102-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20221102-WA0001.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 29
Nice looking boat. I would replace the GPS-100 with a Furuno GP330B. The biggest hassle will be pulling the cable since the Furuno had the N2K connector at the cable end, where Maretron has it at the GPS itself. I went through a couple of Maretron GPSs before finally dumping them. They aren't as bad as the WSO weather instruments, but also not one of their shining moments.

Bonjour Twistedtree,

Thank you very much indeed for your kind comment:)The boat was Flag blue from the origin as many Ducth trawler but the Orange ...Hermès colour ( I am a french snob!) makes it look more "modern"... ( Jotun paint)

I whould not try to run a new cable through my large stainless steel arch and further below in the pilothouse, or I must do it when alone aboard and finishing each day of this crazy adventure with a bottle of gin in the nose...

I have found on the web an american company who still have one "new" in stock. Hope this will work. When you open the cover of the antenna ( not recommanded by Maretron) you find a small electronic module with a thin Lithium battery. I do not understand why this should not be repared. Currently in Valencia , Spain, on the way back later to Atlantic coast of Spain where we live part of the year, I will try to find a local electronician to ask him to have a look...

After 13 years, permanent refit is mandatory...Problem is to find quality replacment parts at an acceptable price.

nb: your trawler looks georgeous as well:thumb:

I understand your aversion to pulling new wires. It's always the hardest part of any electrical job. I think all I can add is that at some point I think you will need to change the cable. That will probably be easier now vs at whatever inconvenient time the next GPS100 fails. It's also probably worth checking to be sure there aren't date roll-over issues with the GPS100 since it's a pretty old device. They came out with a GPS200 close to 10 years ago, so that might be a better choice than a 100. But even the 200 may have rollover issues.

I understand your aversion to pulling new wires. It's always the hardest part of any electrical job. I think all I can add is that at some point I think you will need to change the cable. That will probably be easier now vs at whatever inconvenient time the next GPS100 fails. It's also probably worth checking to be sure there aren't date roll-over issues with the GPS100 since it's a pretty old device. They came out with a GPS200 close to 10 years ago, so that might be a better choice than a 100. But even the 200 may have rollover issues.

thanks again for your advice Twistedtree, this is was I have done, replace the Maretron 100 by the 200, also available. Will test soon when back aboard.

To be honest, I have three GPS and AIS aboard, the only one which never failed is a very cheap 12 V Matsutec GPS AIS class B sold with the antenna and all accessories for less than 300 EUR from China!I use it paired with my SSB Icom M802.

Back
Top Bottom