Marine Charger Recommendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nobles9596

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Next Chapter
Vessel Make
34' Marine Trader DC
Anyone have a recommendation for a 30 amp marine charger - 3 bank system?

Currently have a ProMariner Prosport20 amp 3 bank system that is failing

My Marine Electrician says that the one I have is failing and not big enough.

Recommendations on what you have and like is appreciated?

if you identify the bank(s) you are shore charging by capacity, it will help

Anyone have a recommendation for a 30 amp marine charger - 3 bank system?

Currently have a ProMariner Prosport20 amp 3 bank system that is failing

My Marine Electrician says that the one I have is failing and not big enough.

Recommendations on what you have and like is appreciated?

We currently have a combination of Mastervolt (2 main banks), Charles (thruster bank, to be be replaced with a Victron Inverter/Charger) and a smaller one for the generator (can't find the brand label just now). All working well, and both Mastervolt and Victron apparently make decent stuff.

On the previous boat, after upsizing battery banks, we augmented the original ProMariner ProTech-1240 with a newer ProNautic 1260 and it worked well enough... and we added some nice features like remote monitoring. We had also installed a ProMariner Combi 2000 PSW inverter/charger, and it worked as expected too.

Sterling products are usually the same as ProMariner, with different labels and with manual written in the "other" version of English.

-Chris

I like Promariner, great support when I needed it. I had 2 24 volt ones on order but they were back ordered so I went with Mastervolt. Bad choice. The installation manual is terrible. I finally had to call them and ask what to do. I still don’t like them but am stuck with them now.

I would go with at least a ProNautic 1260. Great support!

Please remember that your charger needs to keep up with the house loads and keep the batteries topped off. For a 37' boat 30amps seems a little small.

Interesting string. What are the indications of your failing charger? It seems it would either work or not work.

Also, I have a ProNautic 20 amp charger for 2 x 8D batteries (genset start batteries). It's done well for 3 years so far. Does that seem small for the load?

Understand that a 40 amp 3 bank charger is only going to put 13.3 amps into any one bank. Since I don’t know the size of your banks I don’t know if this adequate. Secondly, many of the lower end chargers can not deal with banks made of multiple batteries or even a D8 sized battery. Because of this I won’t recommend anything cheaper than a Victron Centaur.

Xantrex makes a True Charge 2 40 amp system that does everything on paper. However, I tried one as a back up charger for my system but it failed after 500 hours of use. I replaced it with a Victron Centaur.

ProMariner works in a way that all of its output can be used on one bank.

In this case, a 3 bank charger at 30A. If we had 3 batteries that were not in the same bank. One needed 15 amp, one needed 10 and the other 5. The ProMariner chargers can can do that or any other combination not exceeding its 30 amps.

They call it Distributed On Demand Technology

Last edited:
Sterling=ProMariner. Rod Collins @ MarineHowto.com recommended & sold these (until his stroke last year). I have been pleased with mine -easy customization of output profile but all 3 outputs must be the same profile.

Interesting string. What are the indications of your failing charger? It seems it would either work or not work.

Also, I have a ProNautic 20 amp charger for 2 x 8D batteries (genset start batteries). It's done well for 3 years so far. Does that seem small for the load?

Woof! Must be huge gensets, if they need an 8D to start!

If the gensets have alternators so they also charger their own batteries after starting, I'd guess your 20A charger is fine.

We went for years with no charger for our genset battery; just relied on the generator engine's alternator to keep the starter battery topped off.

OP's question is probably about a charger that services house loads too, so sizing depend on bank sizes and battery type (charge acceptance rate)... unknowns so far... and then another consideration will be wire sizes and run lengths... because that all needs to be matched too. IOW, can't just automatically assume a jump from a 20A to a 60A charger (for example) is feasible without a boatload of other consideration (and maybe work) too.

-Chris

Last edited:
The definition of battery bank for your ProMariner charger may not be what you think it is. I have an older 20 amp 3 bank ProMariner charger that used to give me inconsistent charging. In reading the manual it states that the leads from the charger need to be attached to individual batteries. I called their support and they confirmed it. So you can't charge paralleled batteries with one of the lead sets. How the battery charger knows is beyond me.

The definition of battery bank for your ProMariner charger may not be what you think it is. I have an older 20 amp 3 bank ProMariner charger that used to give me inconsistent charging. In reading the manual it states that the leads from the charger need to be attached to individual batteries. I called their support and they confirmed it. So you can't charge paralleled batteries with one of the lead sets. How the battery charger knows is beyond me.

That's interesting. I haven't seen a ProMariner like that.

The ones we've had -- ProTech 1240 and ProNautic 1260 -- both understood banks, without regard to how many batteries were involved in a given bank.

The older ProTech did advise against widely varying bank sizes, as with a couple large mains and a much smaller genset battery.

-Chris

That's interesting. I haven't seen a ProMariner like that.

The ones we've had -- ProTech 1240 and ProNautic 1260 -- both understood banks, without regard to how many batteries were involved in a given bank.

The older ProTech did advise against widely varying bank sizes, as with a couple large mains and a much smaller genset battery.

-Chris

Yes, thats my understanding too. Some of us have more than 3 batteries. Point is in my case, I have 5 batteries total. So I need 2 chargers?

In looking at some of the manuals, they do interchange some terms in the wiring diagram. In one they use "battery" and in another they use "battery/battery banks"

From their manual.

The ProNauticP Series On-Board Marine Battery Charger incorporates industry leading technology, delivering fully automatic and sequential multi-stage charging that provides electronically controlled charging, conditioning and maintenance of all batteries and or banks connected.

Yes, thats my understanding too. Some of us have more than 3 batteries. Point is in my case, I have 5 batteries total. So I need 2 chargers?

In looking at some of the manuals, they do interchange some terms in the wiring diagram. In one they use "battery" and in another they use "battery/battery banks"

From their manual.

The ProNauticP Series On-Board Marine Battery Charger incorporates industry leading technology, delivering fully automatic and sequential multi-stage charging that provides electronically controlled charging, conditioning and maintenance of all batteries and or banks connected.

This is why I posted the earlier warning. Don’t assume anything with battery chargers. Many of the chargers on the market can not deal with a bank consisting of more than one battery.

I know the ProNautics don't care how many batteries are in a bank. And in fact --electrically (assuming appropriately connected) -- a bank of multiple batteries is logically just a big battery. Much the same way that single 6V and 12V batteries are often made from multiple cells.

This is why I posted the earlier warning. Don’t assume anything with battery chargers. Many of the chargers on the market can not deal with a bank consisting of more than one battery.

The ProNautic, Mastervolt and Victron chargers I mentioned above all handle banks of multiple batteries. Appropriate charger size depends on size of batteries (banks) and number of batteries (banks).

-Chris

-- a bank of multiple batteries is logically just a big battery. Much the same way that single 6V and 12V batteries are often made from multiple cells.

You would think this is accurate but in the world of battery charging its not. The problem is chargers have gotten to smart for their own good. I see a lot of chargers on the market that can easily charge a group 31 battery but will turn themselves off if they are hooked to two group 31's connected in parallel or two 6 volt batteries connected in series. I haven't studied the issue enough to know it the charger can't handle it because the bank is to large or if the joining of the batteries messes up the sense voltage that the charger uses to determine the batteries ability to take a charge.

You would think this is accurate but in the world of battery charging its not. The problem is chargers have gotten to smart for their own good. I see a lot of chargers on the market that can easily charge a group 31 battery but will turn themselves off if they are hooked to two group 31's connected in parallel or two 6 volt batteries connected in series. I haven't studied the issue enough to know it the charger can't handle it because the bank is to large or if the joining of the batteries messes up the sense voltage that the charger uses to determine the batteries ability to take a charge.

I find this hard to believe. My past boat and current both had a house bank of three batteries with no problems for years. Both used one leg/bank of a three bank charger.

I find this hard to believe. My past boat and current both had a house bank of three batteries with no problems for years. Both used one leg/bank of a three bank charger.

Understand, I am speaking about budget battery chargers. Your higher end chargers are designed to deal with multiple batteries in a bank. Before you buy your next charger I would be sure that it is rated for multiple batteries in a bank, not just multiple banks.

I have alway used ProMariner. My next one is a Victrion after I install a lithium bank.

But why use a bargain basement charger?

Here's a marine charger.....but I don't think its a good idea......

Attachments

• marine charger.jpg
    marine charger.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 44
I like Promariner, great support when I needed it. I had 2 24 volt ones on order but they were back ordered so I went with Mastervolt. Bad choice. The installation manual is terrible. I finally had to call them and ask what to do. I still don’t like them but am stuck with them now.

I had a 40 amp Xantax that took a salt water bath from a parted bilge pump hose connection and replaced it with a Mastervolt charger. Manual was perplexing, but finally figured it out...two months and still working.

I put a 30amp samlex charger that was recommended from local seatronic shop,and would recommend it highly,as full time liveaboard I use it everyday all winter,summertime my solar keeps up

I sold many different brands of battery chargers over the years. The one with the fewest warranty claims and easiest to deal with was Newmar. That was what I chose for my boat.

You don’t hear a lot about them because their primary market is commercial boats. If you call them, ask if Kap Kaplan is still there. If he is, tell him Parks from Hopkins-Carter says hi.

Take a look at their Phase Three chargers. https://dcpoweronboard.com/phase-three-series-12-volt-battery-chargers/

You don’t really know the success of a charging system until your batteries die. And hopefully they die far off in the future, instead of soon.
If it were me I would discuss it with Peter Kennedy at PKYS. He is impressively willing to discuss technical electrics choices, and give excellent advice. He has the answers for yacht electrics, and PKYS prices are very good too. I am not connected to them other than as a customer, but always happy to recommend him for his generous expertise. Just Google pkys. The office is in Annapolis.

I have been using a ProMariner ProNautics 12-50P for about 6 years now, charging my 3-12v "batteries", each one is 2 Trogen T105s. Initially, when new, that was 675 amphrs total. The 1250P charges 3 "batteries" using 3 separate leads. It has worked flawlessly for us since I installed it.

I know the ProNautics don't care how many batteries are in a bank. And in fact --electrically (assuming appropriately connected) -- a bank of multiple batteries is logically just a big battery. Much the same way that single 6V and 12V batteries are often made from multiple cells.

The ProNautic, Mastervolt and Victron chargers I mentioned above all handle banks of multiple batteries. Appropriate charger size depends on size of batteries (banks) and number of batteries (banks).

-Chris

I have had my Victron 30amp 3 bank charger for a bit over a year and I am happy. I bought a ProMariner 20amp, it failed quickly. Sent it back to the factory and they replaced it for free. No problems since charging two group 31 AGMs for my 24v bow thruster the last three years.

Back
Top Bottom