Marquipt Dingy Ram Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
My Marquipt dinghy davit crane is leaking hydraulic fluid. It looks like it’s coming from the inner piston possibly a seal. I am trying to get the front piston off and I am unable to remove the upper “pin” so I can get to the other hydraulic ram. We tried to carefully hammered out with a correct size socket, but she will not go more than a quarter inch. I don’t want to break anything any ideas? Pic is the pin in question.

Attachments

• IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 43
If it don’t fit don’t force it, get a bigger hammer…. Just kidding.

Is it possible that the pin is captive using a screw or pin through the ram's housing?
If not, don't worry about breaking anything. It would help to see the other side, too.

If the pin is rusted in place and penetrating lubes don't help, the next level would
be to either drill it out or saw it next to the ram with a Sawzall 'The Torch' blade.
Assuming it is stainless steel, I recommend using a cobalt drill bit and stainless lube.

Last edited:
I am NOT kidding, get a bigger hammer and drift pin.

She does move about a 1/2 inch but just stops dead no matter how hard I hit it.

I’m assuming there were retaining bolts on both sides of the assembly right?
Look inside the arm and see if there’s any space for the ram to move back and forth. If there is, try to put some kind of hard spacer in there. The more rigid the assembly is the better the hammer blows will drive the pin out. Try both directions. It’ll come.

Some pins have a groove and e-clips to keep them in place. Can you get a view of the piston head inside the arm, maybe with an inspection mirror?

Back
Top Bottom