MasterVolt Whisper power 3.5 Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YellowPiper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
DeTour
Vessel Make
Camano 31
Anybody with A MasterVolt Whisper Power Genset 3.5
Need help. I believe many Camano 31's came with them
Mine is a 2006

The generator has run fine for years, only has about 150 hours on it.
This year when I started it up I forgot to put the negative on. It started after a few tries with a low battery warning . I ran it for a only a minute as it was just for commissioning for this season. Next time I started had same issue, low battery warning as result of no negative. Again got it started ran for maybe 15 minute then shut it down as no longer needed it.
I decided to check the connections and realized I had not hooked up the negative lead. Hooked it up and then went to start it from the start stop on the generator (not the remote panel) I got nothing. Does not even try to start. Wont start form remote or start/stop button on generator.

Weird is when I shine an LED flashlight at the Digital Diesel Control box at the 4 led lights the genset tries to start. As soon as I move the flash light away it stops.

So the engine is fine.

I have
Checked all three fuses on the start panel of the generator.
Detached the positive and negative from the generator for a few hours.
The remote panel powers on with a warning and a bunch of square boxes. When I press select it shows 0 volts I think.

I am thinking that the Digital Diesel Control has lost its programming so the start sequence does not happen. Not sure why when I flash an LED light on the 4 diodes the gen tries to start up. I can cover them up and shine the LED light on fuel and the fuel pump starts. Same for glow, and start.

Generator seams fine so just need to get the DDC working

Colin
Toronto/Midland

Starting without the ground cable caused the current to find another path. Maybe thru motor mounts and common steel structure or thru other wiring or components. If it found a path thru common structure it may have damaged other ground connections. And if thru other wiring or components, they may be burnt out.
You're going to have to trace out your wiring for any possible ground path and verify components in that path still work. Most people only disconnect the positive cable.

Call the manufacturer.

Starting without the ground cable caused the current to find another path. Maybe thru motor mounts and common steel structure or thru other wiring or components. If it found a path thru common structure it may have damaged other ground connections. And if thru other wiring or components, they may be burnt out.
You're going to have to trace out your wiring for any possible ground path and verify components in that path still work. Most people only disconnect the positive cable.

Call the manufacturer.

Ditto above. My guess would be that the negative current flowed back through the control board and fried it.

Yeah thanks for the reminder of postitive only. agree with the fried board. Mastervolt sold to whisperpower and then not longer support?

generator runs fine, just can't control it.

Master Volt Whisper 3.5 fix

So the rest of the story

After self diagnosing this issue I ordered a new DDC, Digital Diesel Controller form supportwhisperposer.com over in Belgium. Helpful by email. Ordered on Friday and Arrive the following Monday to Toronto Cananda. Swapped out and to my delight she fired up flawlessly.
Back in business.
Colin
DeTour
Camano 31
On the Great Loop

Back
Top Bottom