Mckinna 58 with Cats (3406)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregg Kirby

Hi,
Looking for feedback regarding build and ride quality. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Gregg

Hi,
Looking for feedback regarding build and ride quality. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Gregg
Can't speak to the McKinna line, but if the CAT 3406s concern you, I think you'll find them solid main engines. As big in-line sixes, in an engine compartment with the beam of the 58' McKinna, they'll be easy to access / service on both sides. CAT dealership parts and service can be dear, so learn to do your own service as much as possible and save the dealership calls for really hard stuff. The 3406s can be a bit sooty around the exhaust.

If these are 3406e engines, many think it's the best engine CAT ever built.

A good friend a had a 2005 McKinna 481 and I spent a bit of time on it. It struck me as a good quality boat, similar to Ocean Alexander. He had no build issues with it. I imagine the 58 is similar. The boat didn't handle a following sea very well per my friend, and it was a bit underpowered for planing with dual Cummins 370's, and over powered for trawler speed. Still, a nice boat though. I suppose it depends on your expected usage.

Hi,
Thank you in advance,
Gregg
Hi Gregg,

I am extremely familiar with the McKinna Yachts having owned a 1997 48' Pilothouse as well as helping a friend survey and purchase a 57' Pilothouse. My boat had Cummins 450C Diamonds however. As for the build quality, it is of the highest quality. Hulls are extremely well built and a very solid vessel. The electrical and plumbing are very well done and easy to maintain and update.

Joinery is among the most superior quality in the yachting industry. McKinna spends a great deal of effort to make the interiors of these boats functional and beautiful at the same time. Overall, I owned my 48' for 6 years and cruised her all over the state of Florida, the Bahamas and beyond with no significant issues outside of normal boat maintenance required. She is still going strong as the buyer I sold her to 7 years ago just sold her to another owner after enjoying the boat since 2017.

As for the 3406 Caterpiller engines, they are an extremely solid engine. It is not uncommon to see 10,000 hours on these engines when all service has been performed. Caterpillar should be able to provide you some history on the engines and may even be able to provide you parts sold for those engines with the coresponding serial numbers for them. They can also provide you whatever service bulletins which have been published for that specific engine model as well.

Happy to discuss any questions you may have as you look into the boat further.

Daniel J. Kiefer
M/V: Miss Ann
2004 Altima 55' Pilothouse

Back
Top Bottom