MMSI number for travel to Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Legally yes, you need one from the FCC. Also that way it gets entered into international data bases so if you need rescuing they will have your information. Boat/US only gets entered into the US data base.

So Boat/US is not in Canada?

BoatUS is a US nonprofit organization. No it does not operate in Canada.

The MMSI number is simple, so don't stress too much. The Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) number is like a phone number for your boat, helping with identification and communication.

I haven't read the entire thread. I just jumped through the hoops of getting a new MMSI and reprogramming the AIS. I went FCC route rather than Boat US. It was a PITA. No harder than typical US Govt web sites. Which is to say very frustrating. I did find the FCC folks helpful on the phone.

Cost to get a new ship's station license $185. Cost to have the AIS reprogrammed with new AIS and new ship's name $195. I didn't have to have the radios reprogrammed because the PO never entered the MMSI#

I did it because I want AIS and if I just kept things as is I'd be broadcasting the wrong MMSI and wrong ship's name. The cost of a new AIS was more than the cost of the new MMSI plus reprogramming. And I didn't have to mess with any other setup.

All of this because the PO to the PO refused to release MMSI #. In future, if I buy another boat I'll put in the purchase contract the seller must release the MMSI# to me. Or discount the offer to cover the full cost of new electronics.

Technically and legally the ship station license and MMSI belong to the boat, not the boat's owner. I have heard some people raise concerns their private data will be exposed with the MMSI# tranfer. That simply is not true. Verified by the FCC. The only thing the buyer or anyone else sees beyond the ship's numbers is the license holder's name and the license expiration date. The process involves the seller cancelling their account, the buyer applying for a new account using the MMSI.

The MMSI is actually issued by the ITU in Switzerland.

Anyone can easily search the database. To get detailed info, one must have a log on with an accredited authority.

PS: Only 3 Northern Spy listed, all in Canada.

Keep in mind that once you have programmed that MMSI number into the AIS and your VHF(s), you can't change them without a bunch of hassle and expense. Figure a cost of $100 per device to remove it, ship it back to the manufacturer to reprogram, then reinstall. More if you are paying someone else to do it. So there is a lot of incentive to get the number right the first time.

Rather than try to find ways around this particular boating expense, just do it correctly and get the Ship's Station license (SA license), requesting an MMSI as part of the application. And get your own radio operators license (RR license) at the same time. You will need the MMSI before you buy your AIS since the dealer has to program it before shipping.
Cheaper to buy new equipment.....Start from the start. LOL

So I have used my mmsi registered with Boat US for the last 10 years. My Canadians friends can see me and I can see them on AIS. Victoria Traffic and Canadian Coastguard can see us. Push the little button on your VHF, Canada knows who you are and where you are. The are quick to respond.

The MMSI number is simple, so don't stress too much. The Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) number is like a phone number for your boat, helping with identification and communication.

You should be good to go if you're already using a VHF radio, AIS, or any other communication system that requires an MMSI number. Just make sure your number is registered correctly and programmed into your equipment. If you still need one, you must get one from your country's authority before you hit the water.You can get it from the FCC or organizations like BoatUS Simify. Other countries have their processes, so check with your local maritime authority.Once sorted, enter the number into your boat's communication equipment. It's essential for safety and communication, especially in emergencies. It also helps Canadian authorities know who's cruising through their waters.

We have been traveling from NY to Canada on/off for 30+ yrs.
Some prior to MMSI radios but I have never had anything other than the BoatUS issued MMSI # for radios that utilized them. I have always used my VHF when in Canada w/o issues or any mention from authorities.
For infrequent trips I never saw a compelling reason to go through the time & expense of acquiring a ships and operators VHF license after the US dropped the mandatory requirements.
As far as I can tell Canada doesn't feel it's all that important or there would be more enforcement. My VHF communications have included calls to the Canadian CG and there was never a question.
I was willing to accept the risk of lack of boat info if I encountered an emergency while in Canadian waters... although on Lk Ontario and much of the St Lawrence both US & CN CG are reachable

We have been traveling from NY to Canada on/off for 30+ yrs.
Some prior to MMSI radios but I have never had anything other than the BoatUS issued MMSI # for radios that utilized them. I have always used my VHF when in Canada w/o issues or any mention from authorities.
For infrequent trips I never saw a compelling reason to go through the time & expense of acquiring a ships and operators VHF license after the US dropped the mandatory requirements.
As far as I can tell Canada doesn't feel it's all that important or there would be more enforcement. My VHF communications have included calls to the Canadian CG and there was never a question.
I was willing to accept the risk of lack of boat info if I encountered an emergency while in Canadian waters... although on Lk Ontario and much of the St Lawrence both US & CN CG are reachable
I agree, I have mentioned in the past, no one ever got in trouble for using an incorrectly registered MMSI in an emergency.

I agree, I have mentioned in the past, no one ever got in trouble for using an incorrectly registered MMSI in an emergency.
It is the holder of the ship station license and MMSI that should have been transferred who may be at risk. I say may be because I've never head of anyone being fined for this.

From The USCG Navigation Center What to do when Selling or Disposing of your Radio or Radio-equipped Vessel

If you forget to transfer and cancel your MMSI registration, or delete own-ship MMSI and cancel registration, then you could be held liable if and when the new owner transmits a distress alert using the radio, or uses the AIS which you sold or disposed.

As noted by many, the Canadians will come looking for you if you have an emergecny. They won't ask for a radio operator's license if they board you nor a ship station license.

If my MMSI comes into play for something other than a routine AIS transmission, there is an emergency on or with my boat. I want anyone listening in to have all the data that exists. IF the non-FCC MMSI number does not appear when transmitting a MAYDAY, hopefully you spent beyond the minimum for a radio and got one with built in GPS that transmits GPS location when you hit the "I'm going to die" red button on the radio. IF not, hopefully your chartplotter is still running and you can transmit your position coordinates without getting rattled as the water reaches your waist. If not, well, your hourly plot on the paper back-up chart will help. Trawlers are slugs so you won't be too far off and most likely will still be in sight of your "plotted" location if your emergency occurs in daylight hours. And if the Canadian Coast Guard cannot notify your next of kin, because they did not know your name and boat's name, your family will get the hint when you do not return home. Best of all, that did not cost anything.

The fee for the station license is about $200 but the license is for ten years, so $20 a year. Is that worth skimping on in an emergency? The restricted radio telephone license is free and for your life.

Last edited:
As noted by many, the Canadians will come looking for you if you have an emergecny. They won't ask for a radio operator's license if they board you nor a ship station license.

If my MMSI comes into play for something other than a routine AIS transmission, there is an emergency on or with my boat. I want anyone listening in to have all the data that exists. IF the non-FCC MMSI number does not appear when transmitting a MAYDAY, hopefully you spent beyond the minimum for a radio and got one with built in GPS that transmits GPS location when you hit the "I'm going to die" red button on the radio. IF not, hopefully your chartplotter is still running and you can transmit your position coordinates without getting rattled as the water reaches your waist. If not, well, your hourly plot on the paper back-up chart will help. Trawlers are slugs so you won't be too far off and most likely will still be in sight of your "plotted" location if your emergency occurs in daylight hours. And if the Canadian Coast Guard cannot notify your next of kin, because they did not know your name and boat's name, your family will get the hint when you do not return home. Best of all, that did not cost anything.

The fee for the station license is about $200 but the license is for ten years, so $20 a year. Is that worth skimping on in an emergency? The restricted radio telephone license is free and for your life.
Well I disagree at least with B.C. Canada. My MMSI transmits ALL my information to Canada Coast Guard and Marine Traffic system. Traffic knows who you are, your position, Name, etc.
For recreational boaters, as stated having a FCC license is really a non-player. Kind of like having a CB radio license in your truck. Get a MMSI number and then you are ready to sleep better at night.

ASD, you are correct that your AIS is received with all the information. I often hear CG call US boats after clearing customs in Bedwell harbour and then transiting the whale no go zone along side of Pender Island heading north to explain their mistake.
I think the point that was being made is if you are in trouble we do not care if you have AIS, a boat operator card, radio station license etc, we will come to the rescue. Once your are safe you may be reminded.

Back
Top Bottom