Heads up for the Rideau 2024 season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks' for keeping us updated on this. We're still on Lake Champlain with plans to go to Montreal, Ottawa then down to Kingston before making a loop around Lake Ontario. Looks like we'll be making a U-turn somewhere on the Rideau, back down the Ottawa and going up the St Lawrence through the locks.

Question now is, how far down the Rideau to go before starting back. I'd like to go up the Tay at least. Is there a point going south where you've "seen it all"? Good thing we got the season lock and mooring pass....

Is the plan to keep all the locks operating on the Rideau canal for those who can sneak under the fixed span?

Ted

Thanks' for keeping us updated on this. We're still on Lake Champlain with plans to go to Montreal, Ottawa then down to Kingston before making a loop around Lake Ontario. Looks like we'll be making a U-turn somewhere on the Rideau, back down the Ottawa and going up the St Lawrence through the lo

Is the plan to keep all the locks operating on the Rideau canal for those who can sneak under the fixed span?

Ted
I don't think this has any major impact on canal operations. The vast majority of traffic on the waterway is either local or easily able to get under the bridge.

I've been on the Rideau for a couple of weeks, and have seen a few trawlers come by, having dropped their biminis to get through Kingston. It's business as usual for the waterway.

Business as usual if you're under 16ft air draft. I've been delaying my summer cruising waiting for the bridge to be removed so I can get in.

Business as usual if you're under 16ft air draft. I've been delaying my summer cruising waiting for the bridge to be removed so I can get in.
I didn't mean to imply that the impact is zero. I feel your pain.

My point was that vessels with fixed air draft > 16' are relatively scarce here at the best of times, given the 5' draft constraint. You're in a small group.

Getting back to the bridge, if I were imperial ruler I'd replace the opening bridge with a fixed span offering a ~25' nominal clearance, similar to the new bridge just upstream. Find a new location for the dry dock. As far as I can tell they're the only business requiring an opening bridge. It's not like there's a vital deep water port behind the bridge.

If the drydock is going to be locked in for three years they're likely considering moving already...

Last edited:
Thanks' for keeping us updated on this. We're still on Lake Champlain with plans to go to Montreal, Ottawa then down to Kingston before making a loop around Lake Ontario. Looks like we'll be making a U-turn somewhere on the Rideau, back down the Ottawa and going up the St Lawrence through the locks.

Question now is, how far down the Rideau to go before starting back. I'd like to go up the Tay at least. Is there a point going south where you've "seen it all"? Good thing we got the season lock and mooring pass....
at Rideau Ferry (The Tay) the Canal becomes the best from there to Kingston. The first part to the Tay is not as Impressive

Ted
100% yes Ted all locks are functioning. as you know they are run by Parks Canada and the Causeway is Public works Canada (the Boondoggle society) who by the way still won't own up to their mistakes in engineering the project.

Cartouche.....is the bridge still there?

The span was removed today.
YouTube "LaSalle bridge" for the video.
They will be ahead of the June 30 deadline.
Let the Rideau begin.

Back
Top Bottom