MMSI when changing ownership of vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capran

Vessel Name
Honu
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38/Mariner Saville 37
I read through the prior posts but didn't see an exact issue and how to overcome it.

We were told our VHF only allowed up to 2 prior owners to register their name and phone number, (we're owner #3) so that when/if we push the button, the verifying info comes up as the prior owner. So, besides that issue, we wanted AIS receive so have had a new radio installed. We have the old MMSI number assigned to the boat, but if we understand correctly, by using that number, pushing the button would result in a verifying phone call to the previous owner.

Since we don't have a user name and password of the prior owner, how can we get our number and name info to be associated with the old MMSI number. Tried to use Boat US to get a new number and it is not working. Any insight appreciated. Surely this is a common issue with so many boats being sold and purchased.

I have just been through this. You have two issues to resolve.

1st is the MMSI#. It belongs to the boat however the account that controls access belongs to the account holder. If you cannot reach the current account holder you're out of luck getting the account assigned to you. The important part of that is the emergency contact info will be theirs not yours. To fix that you'll need a new MMSI# issued.

2nd is the hardware on your boat. VHF, AIS and anything else that should have the correct MMSI. Having the new to you MMSI# programmed into the hardware is manufacturer dependent. In the US you are not allowed to change it yourself. Some manufacturers require the hardware to be shipped back to them for reprogramming. Some will use authorized service centers. Some techs seem to be able to work around it.

On my current boat I was able to track down the current account holders. All you get out of the FCC is the account holder's name. The rest is up to you to play detective. They refused to reply or help. I had to have a new Ships Radio Station License and MMSI# issued. That was about $200. To get the AIS reprogrammed was another $185. One VHF died about that time so a new one resolved that issue. The other VHF won't get changed, I just won't use that one for an emergency DSC call. It too is old and will be replaced before too long. For some reason the Garmin needs the MMSI as well. I'm not going to bother with that one.

I have just been through this. You have two issues to resolve.

1st is the MMSI#. It belongs to the boat however the account that controls access belongs to the account holder. If you cannot reach the current account holder you're out of luck getting the account assigned to you. The important part of that is the emergency contact info will be theirs not yours. To fix that you'll need a new MMSI# issued.

2nd is the hardware on your boat. VHF, AIS and anything else that should have the correct MMSI. Having the new to you MMSI# programmed into the hardware is manufacturer dependent. In the US you are not allowed to change it yourself. Some manufacturers require the hardware to be shipped back to them for reprogramming. Some will use authorized service centers. Some techs seem to be able to work around it.

On my current boat I was able to track down the current account holders. All you get out of the FCC is the account holder's name. The rest is up to you to play detective. They refused to reply or help. I had to have a new Ships Radio Station License and MMSI# issued. That was about $200. To get the AIS reprogrammed was another $185. One VHF died about that time so a new one resolved that issue. The other VHF won't get changed, I just won't use that one for an emergency DSC call. It too is old and will be replaced before too long. For some reason the Garmin needs the MMSI as well. I'm not going to bother with that one.
Thanks. I wonder if that is the issue, that because the documentation number stays the same, since it, too, is tied to the boat. I tried to go through the Boat US site and it just didn't work. I entered all the info to get a new MMSI number, and it just keeps going back to the last screen that says "Complete Account set up" as if to click it, and it comes right back to that same page. I've boated spending every summer aboard a boat out traveling since1986, and it's not worth the aggravation of trying to figure out how to get control of the account owner. Even that seems way out of the realm of what should be necessary. Seems like if you have documentation that you own the boat, there should be some way to have the account owner info changed.

Thanks. I wonder if that is the issue, that because the documentation number stays the same, since it, too, is tied to the boat. I tried to go through the Boat US site and it just didn't work. I entered all the info to get a new MMSI number, and it just keeps going back to the last screen that says "Complete Account set up" as if to click it, and it comes right back to that same page. I've boated spending every summer aboard a boat out traveling since1986, and it's not worth the aggravation of trying to figure out how to get control of the account owner. Even that seems way out of the realm of what should be necessary. Seems like if you have documentation that you own the boat, there should be some way to have the account owner info changed.
I agree with your logic about auto transferring MMSI along with HIN and if documented the doc #, but unfortunately that's not how it works. I went with an FCC issued station license and MMSI. I found the FCC web site painfully frustrating. Too many hours banging my head against the same issues. I finally called the help line and they walked me through the process in minutes. If you go the FCC route try once or twice, if you hit a stumbling block call the help line. I found them to be polite and helpful.

Do you have a way to contact the previous owner? I just bought a boat and the previous owner went on Boat US and surrendered the mmsi number. Boat US then sent me an email with a username and password for the previous mmsi number that was stored in the VHF. I then logged in and registered my new information and it's done, old number that is still programmed in the VHF is now mine. But you need the previous owner to get the process started.

Do you have a way to contact the previous owner? I just bought a boat and the previous owner went on Boat US and surrendered the mmsi number. Boat US then sent me an email with a username and password for the previous mmsi number that was stored in the VHF. I then logged in and registered my new information and it's done, old number that is still programmed in the VHF is now mine. But you need the previous owner to get the process started.
Getting the previous owner / account holder to cooperate was the problem I ran into. If they won't help there's nothing you can do except start over. If I buy again transfer of the MMSI will be part of the offer

I agree with everything stated above only additional comment is the previous number was secured through the FCC you cannot update through the Boat US website.

I agree with everything stated above only additional comment is the previous number was secured through the FCC you cannot update through the Boat US website.
Yes you need to know if was issued by FCC or Boat US. Otherwise the process is similar. PO releases it, you quickly take it over before the # is assigned to someone else.

I suggest you call Boat US and explain the dilemma. They helped me by phone when I had a similar issue.

I had the same problem with a B&H VHF. I Googled the problem and it came back with a way to reprogram it myself. I was surprised, but it worked.

Just asking,what percentage of VHF radio owners have them registered/licensed/legal etc?

Just asking,what percentage of VHF radio owners have them registered/licensed/legal etc?
I can't give a percentage. I will say I have a ship's station license with MMSI from the FCC. A restricted radio telephone license. EPIRB is registered with NOAA. VHF, AIS and EPIRB are programmed with the MMSI. Emergency contacts are kept up to date.

I also have an FCC ship's station license and the restricted radiotelephone operators permit. VHFs and AIS are programmed with MMSI.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom