Mooring line scuff marks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mainship Pilot

Vessel Name
Eagle
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot II, Prior vessel 43’ Bluesea
I’ve tried magic eraser, gel coat cleaner, Awlgrip wax cleaner, this stuff won’t come off. Avalon mooring lines for the last week rubbing against. Will use a towel next time, but any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3422.jpeg
    IMG_3422.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 52
I don’t have the answer to clean your gel coat, but I can suggest using your own dock lines looped through the mooring lines to connect to your boat. That keeps the nasty mooring lines away completely. Sometimes those things have sand and grit in them and can do worse than the black marks.

If citrus boat soap undiluted on a Scotchbrite sponge doesn't work, next is lacquer thinner, maybe acetone, and then:

Works well but needs to be rinse off thoroughly.

Ted

If citrus boat soap undiluted on a Scotchbrite sponge doesn't work, next is lacquer thinner, maybe acetone, and then:

Ted
I don’t have the answer to clean your gel coat, but I can suggest using your own dock lines looped through the mooring lines to connect to your boat. That keeps the nasty mooring lines away completely. Sometimes those things have sand and grit in them and can do worse than the black marks.
Normally do, but the Admiral pulled the mooring stick up and put the mooring loop on the cleat…..so there is that! 😎

Ted
Acetone worked! Cleaned it up after, then rubbed tome all grip wax on it after, Thx

A guy at the boatyard told me to use acetone for marks left by a shorepower cord or vinyl hose. Works like a champ.

Yup, It worked great!

Acetone has been my go-to for the gelcoat, Bill, but not for the painted hull.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom