My navigation notepad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
CHiTON
Vessel Make
Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I added a little notepad that really came in handy this cruise. It is a little "dry erase" board next to the helm, complete with a shelf to hold the marker. Usually in the evening, I plot out the next day's potential cruise on Navionics. Navionics generates waypoint numbers and estimated times (based on my input of likely speed). "Likely speed" for our boat can be 4 knots if running against a current up to 11 knots if running with. There are times and places where I don't want to be, in which case my SOG could be -5 knots or 16 knots. I can make notes on the dry erase board that quickly remind me of where I should be when and, if not reaching my waypoints on time (or too soon), when to choose an alternate plan (generally an anchorage). Some of our go-no-go decisions are also based on predicted wind speed, direction, or wave height, also noted on the board.

The notations would only make sense to my wife and I based on our previous evening's planning, but the board really came in handy a few times. Twice, we had fellow boaters radio us about times of slack current and we had them right on the board.

When in port, the board also serves a purpose (with notes like "9V battery," or "coffee"). Probably not a good idea to use my binocular cleaning cloth to erase the board. I'll have to fix that.

IMG_20240714_164835843.jpg

Great idea. Beats waiting till you're (I am) too close to slow down/speed up/call an audible. I am going to do this.

If you have the bulkhead real estate, I think this is a good idea. I am still old school with a small notepad and pencil. I jot down everything that I may need to an anticipated run from headings, currents, phone numbers, and then also use it to write down things that come up such as Lat/Lon GPS coordinates broadcast by the USCG, vessel names that contact me or I am watching on AIS.

Back
Top Bottom