Need advice regarding a trawler please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there, I found a 1970 trawler, 42’ fiberglass, 2 twin diesel, has no insurance on it, didn’t have any upgrades in anything, all original, no enclosures , no gen, no dinghy, looks in good shape, the hull looks good, seller says the engines were just inspected and are good, have over 5400 hours on them, have no survey to show, refuse to show me the recent mechanic report (say he’ll do it only after offer).
He wants $70k Canadian dollars for that.
I’m newbie in boats, is this a good price or too high?
Thank you

No way to tell...but if it just didn't have a $100,000 refit...my gut tells me it probably is worth about $20,000 to $50,000 tops.

"refuse to show me the recent mechanic report (say he’ll do it only after offer)."

Recent mechanics report is either good or bad. Owner refused to show until after you offer . . . That means the report is probably BAD, or at least, definitely not good, or he'd offer it up front.:nonono: Too many silly games to play. I'd find another boat, and another seller, or offer $30,000 pending survey, etc.

Not sure what the Canadian exchange rate is now, but in US dollars IMO the boat isn’t worth nearly $70K. Run, Forest, run…

If I was selling a boat, I would talk to you, I would answer your question. I would not waste my time sending you any reports. There are too many tire kickers out there for me to waste time sending reports. Now, after you make an offer, I know you are the real deal and I would make everything I have available to you.

If this boat interests you, make an offer subject to satisfactory survey. After the survey you will know if the boat is priced right.

Hi there, I found a 1970 trawler, 42’ fiberglass, 2 twin diesel, has no insurance on it, didn’t have any upgrades in anything, all original, no enclosures , no gen, no dinghy, looks in good shape, the hull looks good, seller says the engines were just inspected and are good, have over 5400 hours on them, have no survey to show, refuse to show me the recent mechanic report (say he’ll do it only after offer).
Thank you
I don't know what the current "value" is for a 51 year old boat that has not been updated in any way.
However, some general comments based on my general knowledge and personal opinions.
A positive is that the fibreglass hull will be very thick, heavy, and strong, assuming the boat has not suffered any substantial damage, such as during a hurricane, a sinking, or a major grounding.
Depending on how the boat was used and how well the engines have been maintained, 5400 hours might not be that bad, but it is a risk and is high if the boat has been run hard, the engines regularly operated in an overloaded way, or have not been very well maintained. However, it is a big risk financially (the engines).

Negatives are:

It may be very difficult (possibly not possible) to obtain any kind of insurance for a boat that old, and most marinas in Canada require at least liability coverage. Can you afford a total loss and/or any environmental bills that may accompany an accident. I know from experience, having prepared a few such bills, they can get very large quite quickly.
Also with no generator, no dinghy, etc. you are looking at some major expenses just to get "up to operational" shape. If anchoring out a dinghy is pretty well a necessity, and you will need some way to recharge batteries such as gen set and/or solar.
Also at over 50 years old and all original, you can expect some major expenses just to keep the boat operational. Lots of equipment will need updated, repaired, or replaced right away or soon.

If I were you, being new to boats, I would walk away from this one, or at the very least, proceed very cautiously and do lots, and lots of investigation and research.
Good luck.:thumb:I just finished reading the other forum posting. Based on additional info found there, I strongly, strongly advise you to NOT buy this boat. Too many red flags, especially for a new boater!!!!!
It could very easily end up costing you a lot more than you think. A lot more!
This seller sounds "untrustworthy" to me. Always get a survey from a recommended surveyor, and even then remember that they miss things as they are human after all.
It is your money, and do with it as you will, but I think you have received very good advise on this and the other forum. Unfortunately it does sound a bit like you are not going to listen???

Last edited:
You're going to get the same answers here that you got on your thread on Cruisers Forum.

Run away. Anyone refusing to show you a survey or any documentation is looking for a sucker to buy their problems.

ETA: Just in case anyone wants to read them, these were the responses on CF... https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f109/need-advice-regarding-a-trawler-252755.html

Yea, same dual-post approach with "Why is this boat tilting?"

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f109/why-is-the-boat-tilting-252939.html

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/why-trawler-tilting-58754-2.html#post1018705

The sailors on CF gave up after 18-posts with no pictures, no substantive information from the OP on the boat itself. We TF'ers rode-out that thread to 38-posts and counting. I hate to admit it, but probably says something about us TFers.

Name of this thread is "Need advice on a trawler." OP didn't say he wanted advice, nor that he would accept it if offered. But he was spot-on: definitely needs advice.

Peter

Last edited:
Newadventure52; said:
Hi there, I found a 1970 trawler.

You had to find it somehow.
What's the name, make and location?
If you have a link, an ad, a listing to share, some local might know the boat and can help you a little more.
As far as the price, well lots of old boats here and now, that have been past by for years at half the price are gone real quick.

"it, didn’t have any upgrades in anything, all original, no enclosures , no gen, no dinghy, looks in good shape, the hull looks good,"

"Upgrades " may not be that desirable , a 30 year old system that is still working just fine needs not be trashed for new, more cheaply constructed items.

Should it ever stop working, a repair might get a few more decades of excellent operation. Depends on how well the boat was outfitted when built.

Updating a large boat can be very expensive. Canvas, electronics, upholstery, bottom paint, brightwork, etc. The list goes on and on. The cost could easily run over $50,000 (US).

Unless the seller is more forthcoming or the price becomes much more reasonable, take a walk.

pete

Back
Top Bottom