Need dinghy davit advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kornie

Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 39
Hi. I am new to the forum. We just bought a used Nordic Tug 39. We need to add a dinghy davit system that doesn't break the bank. Our dinghy is 10 feet with an air floor and we have a 6 hp motor which is not too heavy. We looked at SeaWise and Olsson. Both appear to be excellent, but are expensive. Any recommendations? If SeaWise or Olsson are the way to go, which would you pick and why?

+1 on Weaver Snap Davits, having used them for 20 years, along with a Weaver Leaver for the outboard.

The SeaWise is awesome. We put it on one boat and loved it. The manual version would take literally a minute to launch and a couple of minutes to retrieve. I installed it in a day by myself.

I made one for my last boat. Similar to the stainless tube one at binnacle.com, but made out of aluminum tubing with a support from the pivot point to the end of the tube. It was made in pieces so it could be easily stored. I cut a hole in my anchor locker hatch and fortified it and put a 1" PCV block on the underside with a hole through it. Then a reciever, another block of PVC, at the bottom of the anchor locker. To use it just stick the leg of the davit through the anchor locker hatch and into the receiver at the bottom. The PVC allowed for easy pivoting. Had a deck plate over the hole in the hatch when not in use.

My dinghy with engine was about 150 lbs. I wanted it on the bow and out of the way from the back of the boat. I had a block and tackle that I could lift by hand, but I devised a couple of additional pulley's at the base and was able to use my verticle windlass. A little Rube Goldberg, but worked great and was easily stored.

https://ca.binnacle.com/Docking-and...-Stainless-Tube-Max-220-Lbs/product_info.html

The Dinghy Butler system on Escape was not inexpensive, but it is convenient. That was my priority and a couple years on it has now shown its value and convenience. It leaves the swim platform clear and unimpeded, keeps the dinghy out of sight lines from the cockpit and fly bridge, and makes launching and retrieval fast and easy. Just food for thought.

Attachments

• Escape Battery Park 2023.jpeg
    Escape Battery Park 2023.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 103
+1 with Seawise

The SeaWise is awesome. We put it on one boat and loved it. The manual version would take literally a minute to launch and a couple of minutes to retrieve. I installed it in a day by myself.

I agree with Comodave.
On our NT 37 (basically the same boat you are talking about), we loved our Seawise (manual) davit. We used a RIB with a Yamaha 8hp (2 stroke) outboard (which would plane the dinghy with 2 adults aboard). With this system you can still use the swim grid for dock access on one side of the grid. We used starboard access due to the starboard prop walk and preferred docking starboard side. The only downsides was that the port side access from the swim grid (while docking port in) was eliminated, and it added about 1 foot of LOA to the NT for dock space purposes. At anchor, the dinghy could be put into the water in about 1 minute, to give full access to the swim grid. Dinghy retrieval was quick as well taking about 2 minutes while being able to leave the outboard on.
Yes they are not inexpensive, but they are a well built, quality product. No affiliation, just liked the system and found it worked very well for us. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom