New Member with Question Regarding Annual Maintenance Cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations! Like all things worthwhile in life … boats take a lot of work. I (usually) like working on mine. Also, like everything in life, there is time vs money. I can do maintenance and repairs for a lot less money, but A LOT more time. If you can do it for 1/4 the cost of a pro, it will probably take you 4X as long! Learn to enjoy being on the boat even when you’re not boating.

I'm in the "it depends" camp and I'd stick with that even with more info. I help a lot of folks buy and maintain boats and the numbers are always a lot lower than most folks here would believe. But I've never helped anyone buy a boat over 35k, I've only helped them spend that in repairs lol. No matter how much you spend on a boat there will easily be 10% more to spend right away depending on who you listen to.

The other great bit of advice already started is that if you like doing the work and enjoy being on the boat it will be worth it. If you pay someone else to do the work and you just want to show up and go for a spin it will cost a huge account more.

Peter, I said 10% rule of thumb and add on a yearly average. That means in 10 years or less you have maintained the boat at the original purchase price.
Fortunately for myself and several others, sweat equity offsets many of those $$$.

Not picking on anyone. Heck, I've probably quoted the 10% number myself. The more I think about it, the number is a brush-off. No one knows what goes into the 10% or how you account for differing valuations. Its an answer that answers nothing but begs a lot more questions - it doesn't advance the conversation a bit.

This really isn't that complicated - there are a few buckets of ownership costs - capital costs (purchase of the asset), holding costs (slip, insurance , routine maintenance required to preserve asset in current condition), variable costs based on usage, upgrades, and extraordinary costs (blown engine replacement). Because the last two - upgrades and extraordinary - are wild cards, people simply won't answer the question even though the purchase costs, usage costs, and holding costs are all very predictable.

For routine holding costs for a GB42, in a reasonably popular boating center, $15k-$20k seems about right, though I confess it may be more given rise on insurance and slip rates so maybe an update is in order. Still it's a much more usable number than "it depends" or the 10% rule.

This is financial modeling 101. You answer what you can, leave place holders for what you can't, and home in on the final number as you move through discovery. Being afraid to even start modeling until you have all the data is a fast track to analsys-paralysis.

The OP hasn't been around for a while but maybe there are others who are considering buying a boat who are still reading. If you plan to leave the boat in the water year round, and it's on the 40-foot range, your gonna need $15k-$20k of free cash flow to keep it afloat. Might be more, especially if it isn't in great shape to begin with. Plus improvements. Plus a reserve for unexpected expenses.

Peter

I am a new member here with a question regarding the average annual maintenance cost for a 1989 Grand Banks 42. We put in an offer and ate pending full survey. However, the initial estimate for items needed immediately is $10K.

I would appreciate any information on what to expect to keep an older boat in good condition.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Diana
since you are pending survey & sea trial, that immediate $10K is still negotiable, after that it depends...

Lots of information here, some specific and some pretty vague. I maintain my 1982 41' President myself. Lots of seat equity but I know every piece of my boat, how it fits and operates, including the engines. That is my choice. What is your DIY comfort zone and what engines do you have?
The OP does not offer any additional info, maybe she enjoys the stirred up chaos?

Ignore replies from dock queen owners. Ignore replies from those that don’t have high standards. Ignore replies from those that don’t like to upgrade their various systems. Ignore replies from those who do maintenance by book hours and not marine age.

Oh oh, where to go as all have been eliminated. Or have they? Not quite. Two remaining outlets for good info are first walk the docks and talk with owners that have nice looking boats like the GB 42.

Secondly, call the NW Exploration people out of Bellingham WA. They know more about older GBs than anyone else. They have wonderful check lists for annual maintenance for their fleet. Plus they are nice folks.

My OA is 37 years old now. Was 35 when we bought it two years ago. It was well kept and upgraded by previous owners. Not bristol, but in good enough shape that dock walkers regularly comment on it. Like any old boat it still had some things it needed. These were almost all identified during survey and negotiated on sale.

There's a fair bit of variability from year to year on maintenance costs. We spent around $8,000 in year 1 on things that needed immediate attention plus regular maintenance stuff. Year 2 (this year) was closer to $32,000, because we did a full haul out, bottom paint (37 years of old paint stripped to the glass, epoxied, and re-applied), replaced a bunch of through-hulls, refinished the teak, fixed a fuel leak and raw water leak, replaced the black tank vent lines and filters, fixed some hull damage, full compound polish and wax, and bunch of other stuff. If I average those and assume next year will be more like $8,000 again, then the annual cost is roughly $16.5k amortized. I might add $3K on that for a new Starlink flat antenna setup. I might also get a Rain Man portable watermaker ($5K) for those longer BC cruises.

We are in the PNW, moor in fresh water but cruise a fair bit in the salt. We are in a covered slip, which dramatically reduces wear and tear from rain, sun, and bird poo. Going back and forth from fresh to salt does a good job of killing off all the little hitchhikers we pick up on either side whenever we make the switch.

Back
Top Bottom