New to me GB 42. Need an engine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grupet

Veteran Member
New owner of GB 42 #647. Shes original and a project.

After a boroscope, cylinder #5 is scored, engine smokes, and knocks.

I'm on the hunt for a good running take out 2715E Lehman, as I'm thinking an engine swap will be the solution for me.

If you've got a spare, I'm all ears.

Attachments

• 20221015_173321.jpg
    20221015_173321.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 91
I may know of a pair from an IAN boat that was a total (unsunk), drop me a pm and I can connect you.

Check Craigslist Rochester. There was an advertisement for Marine Treader 36 that had a Lehman he might sell separately. This was about 3weeks ago.

It's a lot of work to change an engine, even the same model. Make sure your replacement has a few thousand hours left. Otherwise you'd be better off to overhaul.
Engines outside of a boat with new paint offered as reconditioned usually means reconditioned paint.

Definitely something to be cautious of. I'm in the market for a good running take out.

I appreciate all the tips and leads I've received. I'm following up on all.

As far as overhauling, its an option. It seems the machine shop costs alone, assuming my block and head are good, will be more than the price of a good used engine.

Last edited:
How about this......Since you're gonna pull the engine anyway, why not disassemble/inspect to see what its true condition is? Then you can make a 'go-no go' decision on next step.

Seems any used engine that you can't run/test/verify could likely be worse than the devil you know?

A perfect opportunity to ditch the Lehman, and install a 6BT Cummins.
Rock solid motor, cheap and readily available parts, huge dealer network.

I would love a pair of Cummins! Twin engine setup, and one isn't really in the budget. Never mind two.

Having recently been down this road I think I can cast a little light on the matter.
BTW, I had mine professionally rebuilt, top to bottom, close to $10,000 including the in and out.

Buying a used engine is risky. To say the least. Unless you do EVERY bit of the swap out yourself your shop may insist on a new or rebuilt engine with a warranty because if things go wrong they will want someone to share the blame and cost.

I very briefly considered going with a brand new engine, either Cummins or John Deere. The price of the engine alone is "out of sight" $30,000 or more. Then you need to replace a ton of other things, transmission, exhaust, lots of wires and gauges, probably prop shaft and prop, engine mounts and the list never ends. Easily doubling the cost of the engine.

Have yours rebuilt, you will be glad you did.

pete

Need engines

Plenty of salvage engines in Clewiston from the hurricanes 100s of wrecks

It's a lot of work to change an engine, even the same model. Make sure your replacement has a few thousand hours left. Otherwise you'd be better off to overhaul.
Engines outside of a boat with new paint offered as reconditioned usually means reconditioned paint.

Agreed. Given the amount of work involved with R&R, I would want to hear it run before installing it. It's not that hard to hook up the required accessories to run it. A little more involved would be a compression test. Be sure the test is performed as per the manufacturer's instructions. Also a compression test does not guarantee that it runs properly, so I would want to definitely hear it start COLD and run.

Back
Top Bottom