New to me Sunnfjord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glsawyer

Just picking up a 1982 Sunnfjord 42. Anyone have any info on them? Overall good condition. Twin 3208 cats. Pics soon.

Just picking up a 1982 Sunnfjord 42. Anyone have any info on them? Overall good condition. Twin 3208 cats. Pics soon.
Only general info. Sunnfjord was primarily a work boat builder when yours was built. They didn't build too many pleasure boats at that time. I'd call their build quality "hell for stout".

Any ideas on rang? Fuel usage? Cruising speed?

Nope. But I can make some guesses based on having a semi displacement twin engine 42 ft boat powered by Cat 3208 NA

42’ hull speed for a displacement hull should be about 8.7. The Sunnfjord being a work boat hull is most likely semi displacement. I have found that as I approach displacement hull speed in my semi displacement hull a large bow wave and wake start to form. I doubt this is a very efficient speed to cruise at. So I back it off a bit to where the hull seems to slip through the water better.

IF you have a SD hull. And IF it is similar to mine. And IF your 3208s are NA. Then you MIGHT get similar fuel efficiency. For my current boat that’s about 1.1 to 1.2 nautical miles per gallon.

Range will be dependent upon real fuel capacity less desired reserve multiplied by real NMPG.

For my comfort and safety when cruising the remote areas I want a reserve of 30%. Fueling options can be far apart and a lot can happen before I get there.

I carry 500 gal less a 30% reserve = 350 gal burnable
350 X 1.1 (the lower NMPG #) = 385 nautical miles

If I were comfortable with a more commonly used 10% reserve and use the higher 1.2 NMPG that works out to 540 nautical miles.

Of course you can throw this all overboard if your 3208s are T or TA. Or if your hull is more efficient at higher speeds.

Now comes the care and feeding of your 3208s. There are a lot of opinions on the subject ranging from run ‘em hard and hot all the time to take it easy on the old kitty cats. I cruise 1600 RPM. I and the boat would like 1400 RPM better but I don’t think I’m working them hard enough. 1600 RPM it is with 10 – 20 min a day at 2000. That said I’m over propped.

There you have it. A bunch of assumptions and guess work. The only real way to know is to get out there and use the boat.

One more data point for you. I can touch 12 kts at WOT. I can't say with any certainty but I'm guessing fuel burn at that speed is 25 GPH. That's an expensive ride at today's fuel prices.

Only general info. Sunnfjord was primarily a work boat builder when yours was built. They didn't build too many pleasure boats at that time. I'd call their build quality "hell for stout".

When we summered in Seldovia, one of my neighbors had one rigged for trolling. My impression was that they were not only stout and stable, they seemed to be better finished than most of the fleet. As for those Cats, I lived with a couple for six years, found them reliable and easy to maintain.

Last edited:
Don't know much other than their not-so-well-known reputation here in the PNW is they are very well-built, stout vessels. Congrats!

I think Sunnfjords were made in Tacoma Wa. I've seen a few up close, and as per the above comments, they struck me as high-end commercial boats and not yachty and fancy. I find that attractive.

they struck me as high-end commercial boats and not yachty and fancy. I find that attractive.

Yes. The thing I noted about my friend's Sunnfjord was that even though the interior was utilitarian, it didn't have the shabby feel of most small fishing boats.

Nice, which one did you get?

I look forward to getting back to Seward, we'd like to buy a boat there for a couple years. Do you see many other trawler type vessels on the docks?(for sale)?

Congrats on your new boat! I own a 1984 Sunnfjord 42 with a single 3208 NA. I have found the boat very sea kindly with a long flooded keel and large rudder. No thrusters so it's a joy to move around in a marina but I like the challenge :)

I love the looks of the boat as it sits long and low on the water. Every time I walk on the decks I smile as it's like walking on concrete. The boat was definitely custom built as it has a roll top desk in the forward cabin. And all the things that need accessing inside are behind panels or frames that unscrew.

We typically cruise at about 1700 rpm which is about 6.5 kts and that's the point where it feels like hull speed. She'll easily do 7.5 and if I run up to 2200 rpm (redline is 2800) she'll do 8.5 but throws a wake like a destroyer.

I've got a lot pictures and I guess should start a new thread. But here's one from the factory and one from when we hauled for the survey.

Edit: I've actually got a lot of these pictures in my albums if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• survey side view.jpg
    survey side view.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Vintage Avalon 1 Rotated.jpg
    Vintage Avalon 1 Rotated.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Congrats on your new boat! I own a 1984 Sunnfjord 42 with a single 3208 NA. I have found the boat very sea kindly with a long flooded keel and large rudder. No thrusters so it's a joy to move around in a marina but I like the challenge :)

I love the looks of the boat as it sits long and low on the water. Every time I walk on the decks I smile as it's like walking on concrete. The boat was definitely custom built as it has a roll top desk in the forward cabin. And all the things that need accessing inside are behind panels or frames that unscrew.

We typically cruise at about 1700 rpm which is about 6.5 kts and that's the point where it feels like hull speed. She'll easily do 7.5 and if I run up to 2200 rpm (redline is 2800) she'll do 8.5 but throws a wake like a destroyer.

I've got a lot pictures and I guess should start a new thread. But here's one from the factory and one from when we hauled for the survey.

Edit: I've actually got a lot of these pictures in my albums if anyone is interested.

I'd love to see more. Mine has dual 3208 na. Large aft cabin. Twin bunks up front

Mine has the same layout. Can you see my album here? You should see more photos from the factory and some grabbed from the YW listing.

Also, since your is laid out the same. What is the fuel capacity of the tank under the rear bunk?

Come on, Glsawyer, no photos, no boat. You're just messing with us about owning a boat until we SEE it.:):)

Welcome aboard, BTW!

Also, since your is laid out the same. What is the fuel capacity of the tank under the rear bunk?

There are three fuel tanks: a 100 gal center tank and two 150 gal saddle tanks. The tank under the rear bed was a 300 gal water tank but after it failed the PO installed two 80 gal plastic tanks.

There are three fuel tanks: a 100 gal center tank and two 150 gal saddle tanks. The tank under the rear bed was a 300 gal water tank but after it failed the PO installed two 80 gal plastic tanks.
Ok. Mine is dual tank. But front leaks

Come on, Glsawyer, no photos, no boat. You're just messing with us about owning a boat until we SEE it.:):)

Welcome aboard, BTW!

Lousy pic. But I'll post more

Attachments

• received_1002654124211657.jpg
    received_1002654124211657.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 66
Another Sunnfjord 42.

We just bought this one in August. It had a single 3208TA with 9000 hours. I just pulled it to repower with a Cummins.

This is our 5th boat in 40 years and she the best constructed and best thought out of any I've have. Our layout is very different, just a single cabin forward.

I burned a bit over 2 gph at 7 Kt.

Did you buy the one that was for sale in Seward?

Attachments

• PXL_20230929_213343756.jpg
    PXL_20230929_213343756.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 76
Hopefully. Guy is due back in town end of the month. I'm holding the money lol.

Good luck, it took us a while to work out a deal but all came out in the end

How are you making out in your acquisition? I happened to come across the for sale ad while googling boats for sale in Seward.

Attachments

• received_1474920719745575.jpg
    received_1474920719745575.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 41
  • received_1025353635277090.jpg
    received_1025353635277090.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 43
  • received_324300980201774.jpg
    received_324300980201774.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom