New to the Trawler world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lcoldufour

Looking at retiring in a few years and would like to do the grand loop at some point. If everything goes well... maybe push my luck further in a far away country... clearly I'm hopefully I have many yrs ahead of me. Spend 30 yrs in the military as a grunt gunner always deployed far away from the water... too often in the middle of a dusty conflict zone. The ideas of been on the water seems like a good plan to me. I Just need to convince my wife now.

I'm thinking about acquiring a Trawler. I will have time, I don't need that much space nor luxury. So I'm in the early stage of what I hope will be a great adventure... thanks and very nice meeting you all!

Lawrence

Last edited:
Welcome to Trawler forum. My first suggestion would be to contact or develop friends who have boats. Ideally couples so your wife could get the spouses views (hopefully where the spouse enjoys the boat/lifestyle). Try to spend some time on the water with them, starting with just an hour or two meeting them at the dock and then advancing to some short day trips. If wife is interested in taking next steps consider a charter. Make them to interesting destinations that your wife would enjoy. Warning if it turns into an ordeal, lots of engine/boat issues and getting towed in you are probably in trouble! Plenty of fairly low cost, simple trawlers that are economical to operate. But be prepared for expenses and make sure you don't create financial stress from boat ownership.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard.
Walk on many brands of boats. Try to stay with the same length. Both aft and bow thrusters. They will help you in many many instances especially for someone like yourself who has not been on the water before. A walk around type trawler is easy to go thru the different locks. A galley down gives you more room in the salon for bigger comfortable chairs.
Write down idears from others and if you don't understand why they like their ideas, ask "why".

If you have a few years to go, I'd advise to vacation somewhere with charter boats (here in the PNW that would be Bellingham or Anacortes) and book one for a week. They'll give you lessons if needed.

It may seem expensive but is very well worth the investment for everything from sampling the lifestyle and experience to actually seeing what an imagined "preferred" model is really like, before buying something.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom