New to trawler life!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nostos

Vessel Name
Nostos
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 30
I cut my teeth on my grandfather's Chesapeake Deadrise in Maryland, then started sailing at the ripe old age of 10. At 13 years of age, I was able to shoot stars and made my first ocean cruise down the eastern seaboard. with my father. After graduating I spent 13 years in the USAF flying around SE Asia and ME, then I spent the next 3 years sailing the islands around the Ryukyu archipelago and Japan to 'decompress' and get my head on straight. In 1994 I moved to the Pacific Northwest and spent the next 25 years sailing Puget Sound and the Salish Sea in a 34 True North cutter, and a Cooper 416 PH sailboat. In 2019 made the "big left turn" in my Catalina Morgan 45 CC and spent the next five years single-handed sailing the South and western Pacific, including spending 1 year sailing Fiji Islands, and another year sailing Guam/Northern Mariana Islands during the pandemic. Post pandemic I sailed back to Fiji via the Micronesia islands, and Rotuma Island. I sold the boat in Fiji and decided that it's time for me to give up the rags and make the move to a trawler and found nice little 1981 Island Gypsy 30.

So, while not new to boating, I am a new "stinkpot" (no offense) skipper, and from browsing the threads so far, there is a lot of valuable knowledge here and I am always eager to learn from more experienced and knowledgeable skippers.

The trawler life will be a cinch after that resume. Welcome! Good to have people like you on "our" side.

I agree. My experience is way less and the whale to the left is mine. Didn't even know how to start the engines when I bought it and needed training on operations. Doing alright - :)

Welcome fellow Gypsy owner!

Have fun with you new boat and dig deep into all the nooks and crannies. These old boats...

Back
Top Bottom