NOAA Request for Comment - Replace "Feet" with "Meters" as unit of measure???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Except for the decimal portion, the metric system was set up on a random basis by the French revolutionaries, although the claimed basis was quasi-scientific.

The English system is based on a sensible human scale. The foot is a foot; a yard is a pace; and a fathom is the distance between the outstretched arms.

Let us continue to maintain our individuality. The American experiment is a noble one, and it's well worth our while to press onward with it.

Wolf Hound

And I thought thunder was Thor getting pissed off.

Except for the decimal portion, the metric system was set up on a random basis by the French revolutionaries, although the claimed basis was quasi-scientific.

The English system is based on a sensible human scale. The foot is a foot; a yard is a pace; and a fathom is the distance between the outstretched arms.

Let us continue to maintain our individuality. The American experiment is a noble one, and it's well worth our while to press onward with it.

Wolf Hound

Exactly! And why don't we use "shots" for anchor ride (a shot is15-fathons, or 90-feet)? Makes it so easy to calculate scope. If you're in two fathoms of water and your bow roller is another half fathom, and want to lay 5:1 scope, you'll need.......err.....I dunno how many shots you'll need until I have a second cup of coffee.

Another vote for maintaining traditional nautical language and measurements!

Peter

Back
Top Bottom