North Pacific 43 owners questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aroadracer

I’m considering my first trawler purchase as a NP43 and I’m wondering if these boats are suitable for single handing some of the time. The boat I’m looking at is a 2010 with both bow and stern thrusters. I realize that Experience is the main factor here - I plan to get captain training- an insurance requirement as well, but other than that, are these boats reasonably manageable by one person?

I single hand my NP43. I just spent 3 days on the boat solo and got back yesterday after and docked solo during some rain squalls.

I don't think I the NP is ideal for singlehanding. However, I rarely have had problems. I do have both bow and stern thrusters which definitely help. I think the key for me it to plan all maneuvers as is I didn't have thrusters and then use them to "fine tune" or to help with the unexpected. My home dock is in a harbor where the wind is notorious for shifting in seeming random ways.

I met one NP owner that has singlehanded his NP42 for years in BC. I also spoke to a woman who owns a NP43 with her husband in Annapolis. They don't have any issues despite her having lost her legs.

I use a Fender Step to get on and off the boat outside the pilothouse door. It is a high step so it would be hard for some folks to do. If you aren't able or comfortable with making that step, then I would not recommend trying to singlehand unless you normally frequent marinas that have dock assistants. Something that is all but unheard of in Puget Sound. I will try and post a picture.
1000001567.jpg

Thanks Dave, I am 6’1” and long legs so I might be able to do that. I will be on the east coast so lots of help I hear.

Dave, another question. Do you experience any chine slap in your 43?
Yes.

Most of the time it isn't much of an issue. I spent 2 nights at anchor with moderate breeze. The chine slap wasn't enough to bother me sleeping in the forward cabin.

A few times we have been in conditions where it has been very noticable, just the right combo of wind and current. In those times I found that adjusting my anchor bridle to be asymmetric helped reduce it dramatically.

@Aroadracer. First trawler, what exactly does that mean? First power boat, first boat?
Yes a boat can be singlehanded, I do it often when there are more than 2 onboard. Yes, experience helps. Anyone can drive from A to B, it is docking and undocking that requires skill. It can managed by years of experience, instinct or by training. You have ruled out years & instinct, so training it will be.

Steve, I have owned bow rider boats most of my adult life - 23’ or less, but the jump to 43’ is Big! I think I have good instincts but as you state, training is key.
Pilothouse doors on either side should be a big plus for single handing but lack of full walk around decks like a KK42 is my concern. I’m just trying to get constructive input before pulling the trigger (or jumping off the cliff) on the NP43. Thanks!

Yes.

Most of the time it isn't much of an issue. I spent 2 nights at anchor with moderate breeze. The chine slap wasn't enough to bother me sleeping in the forward cabin.

A few times we have been in conditions where it has been very noticable, just the right combo of wind and current. In those times I found that adjusting my anchor bridle to be asymmetric helped reduce it dramatically.
This was fixed on the 45. I have zero chine slap.

I don't have any first hand experience on NP 43's, but am familiar with them from the boat shows, and several at my marina. They look sweet, and I would not hesitate to single hand one. As long as you don't have bad knees, or something that make getting on and off it a challenge, I think it will work out great for you.

The wiring on Bow and stern thruster controls is very simple. If you are a little handy it would be very easy to build a home made wired version of a Yacht controller remote for them that you could step off onto the dock with. It would probably cost you $300 vs $15K for a Yacht controller. If I had bow and stern thrusters, I would do it for my boat. It would make things less stressful when it's really windy.

FWIW, I do have a remote for my thrusters. It is bouncing around in a drawer in the PH with a dead battery. I just found that I very rarely ever used it, even when single handing.

Yesterday I came back to my slip solo with some rather annoying wind gusts coming from a bad direction. It made solo docking a bit of a challenge but wasn't really a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom