North West Passage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit he is a pretty skilled troll, keeping folks engaged for 11 pages and counting.

And then report back to you, right? :thumb:

No need, I already did. From the top of Baffin Island, to the Beaufort Sea, the NWP, its 900 milies. You remind me pf the guy who doesnt know, or believe me, that you can buy fuel north of Maine. Do you believe me on that poinr?

A while back, Twisted Tree commented it was a shame this thread had gone so far into the ditch - that it was an interesting topic. I agree. While I don't plan to make this passage, I very much enjoy passage planning. This route is interesting as the ice pack moves and I'd wonder how people decide this year is good or bad. In the documentary video I linked early, the boat lost its pressure plate halfway through. Had it not been for a fortuitous stop in a bar where they met a Corp exec who had colleagues joining him by air in a few days and volunteered to hand deliver their parts, they risked not making the very narrow weather window.

2019 was apparently a banner year for passages. Fewer than a dozen pleasure boats. Last year only one did it - the Rocna Kiwi guy who is now persona non gratis in Canada as a result.

So while no one on this list has done the route, given the pedigree of many, I'm pretty confident a good discussion could ensue. It's a shame it's been co-opted.

Peter

Last edited:
Hard to argue a given point to point distance, no matter how useless it is in planning.....at least from my view of navigation and voyage planning.

Maybe we will be told why the length of one "Northwest passage route", from no particular place to no particular place is so important to keep arguing about it.

So while no one on this list has done the route, given the pedigree of many, I'm pretty confident a good discussion could ensue. It'd a shame it's been co-opted.

I'd say it's going along just as the OP intended.

(I agree it's an interesting topic for another thread at some point.)

Interim summary of thread: Since nobody is corroborating my bold claim that you can get fuel north of Maine, that guy who doesnt know it , and doesnt believe me, might not learn that all his life.

Its against the rules to namecall people as .. trolls. Anything on any of my points?

Be careful pointing too much out, you never know if someone important thinks it's true instead of just moving on.

Since nobody is corroborating my bold claim that you can get fuel north of Maine, that guy who doesnt know it , and doesnt believe me, might not learn that all his life.

They are probably intimidated by your bold claim. Or they might be busy doing other research for you?

Does that mean you verified I was right about the distance?

Oh shucks that's right. You wanted me to get those figures for you. I'll get right on that.

Last edited:
Be careful pointing too much out, you never know if someone important thinks it's true instead of just moving on.

Ahhh yes...a 'walking on eggshells' thing...for only some. Im proud to never name call anybody.

Interim summary of thread: Since nobody is corroborating my bold claim that you can get fuel north of Maine, that guy who doesnt know it , and doesnt believe me, might not learn that all his life.

Hardly a summary of the whole thread.

Back in post 185 I mentioned Greenland ports as suitable jumping off points if necessary. Thats north of Maine if confused.

Here..... "On the map I posted,, departure was from an area of Greenland departure ports and arrival in the first Alaskan civilization I know of (due to the no Canadian stop concept). Again, the way I view a voyage not a distance that is great for Wikipedia, but pretty useless in voyage planning."

Speaking of names we use, let's see if I can take this sideways for a bit.

AK Prof, settle a debate for me. Is the most common AK term, "brown" or "grizzly" and do you know the ratio of the two?

Murray, how about up your way, same question.

Brown bears (Ursus arctos) are an inclusive species; there are many subspecies "Grizzly" bears (Ursus arctos horribilis) are just brown bears that live in North America and "Kodiak" bears (Ursos Arctos middendorffi) are simply well-fed brown bears.
Pedantically yours,
'Prof

Last edited:
Ahhh yes...a 'walking on eggshels' thing...for only some. Im proud to never name call anybody.

No but you disappeared from the forum for some reason and some of your threads seem to agitate a lot of people.

Hmmmmmm.......proud?.....hmmmmm.

No but you disappeared from the forum for some reason and some of your threads seem to agitate a lot of people.

Hmmmmmm.......

I was banned for a whole month because I hurt some guys feelings by rebutting them, putting them on the spot, pointing out their false logic, etc. So they reported me, and I got banned. Guess theyre trying to imitate Facebook, twitter, amazon, google, youtube.

Brown bears are an inclusive species; there are many subspecies "Grizzly" bears (Ursus arctos horribilis) are just brown bears that live in North America and "Kodiak" bears (Ursos Arctos middendorffi) are simply well-fed brown bears.
Pedantically yours,
'Prof

Used to hear the term "coastal browns" quite a bit back when I was up there Still used at all?

On Kodiak, they were almost always called Kodiaks.

I was banned for a whole month because I hurt some guys feelings by rebutting them, putting them on the spot, pointing out their false logic, etc. So they reported me, and I got banned. Guess theyre trying to imitate Facebook, twitter, amazon, google, youtube.

I suggest you not go to the arctic .....as you are having a very basic problem from not learning from a mistake.

Hope the other 3 guys get it.

Oh yeah, no response about my saying suitable ports in Greenland back in 185?

Last edited:
Used to hear the term "coastal browns" quite a bit back when I was up there Still used at all?

Surely its considered un PC, non-woke, rascist by now to say 'brown' bears?

I've heard that colloquialism, I think it's just a way of talking about the fat "Brownies" that graze the salmon streams both sides of Cook Inlet. I've met a few while fishing reds on the Kvichak.

Kodiak bears are, of course, just the product of countless generations of over-indulgence and inter-breeding in a confined ecosystem with boundless protein and no competition.

Last edited:
I've heard that colloquialism, I think it's just a way of talking about the fat "Brownies" that graze the salmon streams both sides of Cook Inlet. Kodiak bears are, of course, just the product of countless generations of over-indulgence and inter-breeding in a confined ecosystem with boundless protein and no competition.
I kinda miss my overindulgence of salmon and halibut protein on Kodiak too?

I suggest you not go to the arctic

He's already said two or three times he's not going. Too many permits ("30-40"), Canada is a nuisance, pesky natives, etc.

Thread goal now seems to be baiting people to provide him info (that he's not going to use) in the name of "proving" things to him. (His iPad is apparently on the fritz so he can't check himself.)

Plus some scattered insults about "woke" people and "rascist" attitudes.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Ahhh yes...a 'walking on eggshells' thing...for only some. Im proud to never name call anybody.
Umm - never name-call? In addition to offending the entire Canadian population with a special call out to the native Inuit as pirates, In 207, you were a bit over the line with AlaskaProf based on nothing other than his screen name.

"It could be that as a prof, youre likely a left wing 'woke' one, so never talk to normal people."

What is it with this woke stuff?

Peter

Last edited:
I kinda miss my overindulgence of salmon and halibut protein on Kodiak too?

No interbreeding? I've been to the CGStation Kodiak for a couple flight safety conferences. Looked like a pretty "closed ecosystem" to me. :socool:

Going once, going twice,.....

Last chance to comment on my post 185 and the no fuel allocation....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom