Nuisance trips, 2 amp fuse, Magnum Energy “ME-BMK/ME-BMK-NS Battery Monitor Kit”

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I’ve had a chat with a forum member off forum about this but thought I’d check with other emerges who on this unit tosee if they have had a similar experience.

I’m getting nuisance trips of the 2 amp blade fuse on my Magnum Energy “ME-BMK/ME-BMK-NS Battery Monitor Kit”. This affects the information displayed on the monitor panel. The unit was professionally installed and a review of the installation indicates it seems to be correctly installed.

The fuse seems to blow during shore power breaker trips (I’m currently on 10 amps shore and it’s easy to exceed that) and also on occasion when combing start and house banks.

Everything goes back to normal when the fuse is replaced. So far, this has been a nuisance. Bigger concern is if it is a sign the BMK is on its way south.

Has anyone had similar experience with this issue?

Jim

I got through to Magnum Tech support. She said it was a sign the BMK is beginning to fail. The good news is the one currently in available can be swapped back in with similar wiring. They are not that expensive. She suggested the ME-BMK-R-L.

Jim

Magnum Energy “ME-BMK/ME-BMK-NS Battery Monitor Kit.
Get a new one seems a pat answer, but it baffles me as to why a fuse should blow on a monitor. The monitor works until the fuse blows, right?
Have to ask, it is a DC fuse?
Since you are replacing the monitor, care to try a 5 amp DC fuse

Well she said 8-10 years on this unit is typical. I’m not sure why it would fail. Also have considered going to a 3 amp fuse as well. That was the discussion with another forum member. However, I’m going away to distant realms this summer, and I don’t need this thing failing in the middle of nowhere. Well I hope it’s a DC fuse! It fits in the typical DC fuse holders.

Jim

An AC fuse is supposed to work, was just wondering. OK then this is a seasoned monitor that has worked for 8~ years. Nothing changed, line and load on shunt correct, then I guess it could be age.
But it only blows fuse when you lose shore power. Bonding of AC green ground and DC bat negative leaves the only ties between the two. If this is new issue, will a new one tolerate this? Or do you have a shore connected battery charger that may be causing this. Turn it off and disconnect shore as a check?
These are not expensive, sure get a new one ready to install, but look for a leak from AC to DC to avoid future issues.

I have a Charles isolation transformer installed. Hopefully that bypasses this issue. IIRC, the fuse also failed when combining the house and start batteries when pulling the anchor.

Jim

Mine doesn't blow fuses, but doesn't work anymore either. Didn't work well even when new. I'd call the whole arrangement a nuisance.

Mine has always worked well. The nuisance trips, while annoying, are infrequent and solved by putting ina new fuse. I feel I need to resolve this before heading out this summer.

Jim

Well, I guess I will not get one then.
Jim you have already confirmed wiring is correct. You have to agree there is a surge current to blow the fuse, such as a short which for you is temporary as it works again with new fuse. When you get the new one installed so let us know if problem went away.

Back
Top Bottom