Packing size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvermeer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Brigus
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Does anyone know what size the packing gland material is for a monk 36? 1/4”?

It is pretty easy to measure. Loosen up the nut or whatever type of gland you have. Slide the nut forward. You can use drill bits to measure the size. Find the one that fits into the gap and that is the size packing that you need.

Is it doable in the water? I come from commercial vessels (60’ plus) and you could change the packing while the boat is on the water…you just had to be quick about it lol

Is it doable in the water? I come from commercial vessels (60’ plus) and you could change the packing while the boat is on the water…you just had to be quick about it lol

Yes. I just had mine changed while we were in the water. I paid someone because I was a little afraid to do it myself, but after seeing it done, I'll do it myself from now on.

This was a really good video I found.

We had 2” shafts in our last boat. It took 3/8” packing. We used Duramax packing. It can be adjusted so that is doesn’t leak. But you need about 10 hours run time before tightening it up.

My Monk 36 with 135 hp Perkins has 1.75" shaft. What year is yours?

Shaft size alone doesn't determine stuffing size. Measure the gap.

I agree that the gap must be measured. That stands also for the rudder packing.
Your boat could have different sizes between the two boxes and also between boats of the same mfgr.

Back
Top Bottom