Paragon fluid check?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check the level using the dipstick within 90 seconds after engine shutdown. The cooler and hoses need to be filled to get a good level.

I would suffer third degree burns 🥵 attempting to check the oil that soon. I had my Paragon rebuilt last year and the shop told me to start the engine, run for a minute, to ensure the oil cooler and hoses were filled, shutdown and check the oil. They indicated that it was most important to be on the full mark and not above or below.

The manual for Velvet Drive says the same thing, but adds that once you've checked and corrected it immediately after running you can let it sit overnight, then put a new mark on the stick at the "cold" level. You can then check it hot or cold. That should work on any brand.

Not familiar with Paragon but I would think if the oil gets hot enough to burn you, there's something wrong. My Velvet Drives run barely warm to the touch. Years ago a friend did get burned after the trans stopped working, he went down to check and it sprayed hot oil on him. But it had stopped working due to clutch slippage. I don't know what make it was.

The oil does not get that hot but it is next to the manifold which is quite toasty. The rebuild shop recommended checking the transmission fluid cold.

Back
Top Bottom