Paragon P33AL transmission time for a replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MVSunrise

Vessel Name
Sunrise
Vessel Make
CHB 32
I have a 1977 CHB 34 with a the usual Lehman 120 and Paragon P33AL. While passing Patos Island in the San Juans last month the transmission gave up. After some slowing followed by noises there was just no thrust. We managed to push the boat with our dinghy and safely anchor. That's the very short version to the story.
Now the question who has a Paragon P33AL transmission? Preferable in the pacific north west.
Thanks,

Two years ago I had the same problem so i removed the Paragon transmission and took it to a rebuild shop. The mechanic told me that as long as the transmission has oil, it will propel the boat. However if the drive plate sheers its bolts, all forward (or reverse) propulsion will cease. It cost me $1950 with a new drive plate for a complete rebuild.
There are only three bolts holding the dive plate to the flywheel. I replaced them with hardened grade 8 bolts. The transmission weighs about 250 -300 lbs with the tail stock attached. I would recommend that you get some 6” bolts and replace the two opposing bolts on either side before removing the remaining bolts and slide the transmission back to ensure the drive plate is not the problem. If it is no longer attached to the flywheel, you can replace it without total transmission removal. Should the Paragon be the problem there are companies to rebuild it. I used: ebasicpower.com, Marine Engine Parts | Fishing Tackle | Basic Power Industries

That you JimKane. Your response and information is of great help. The contacts you included are just what I need. Now the fun part begins.
Thank you

Yes it could be the dampener plate. Unfortunately the only way to find the truth is to open things up.
As a way to help others here are the symptoms I experienced.
-engine and transmission have just under 3000 hours
-for about 2 hours the boat became progressively slower.
I thought the currents were just getting stronger and in the San Juan islands that happens.
-then there was a sound that lasted about 20 seconds. almost a groaning sound
-that's when the speed dropped significantly.
-the prop shaft was still turning but slower then it ever did and had and there was very little power.
-the failure was not sudden so I suspect the transmission clutch plates are worn. But I may be wrong. That's why I'm here seeking advise of this wonderful community.

I like JimKane's idea of backing out the transmission using some 6" bolts and hoping the drive plate(dampener plate) is at fault. Any other tips or ideas are much appreciated.

Thank you

Go to my blog, grandbankschoices, and find where I replaced mine. We bought a mini block and tackle with a trolley that we paid over the tranny. It allowed us to lift and slide it back easily. I replaced dampener plate in under three hours, from step on boat till off. Can pull tranny in 45 minutes now.

Thank you Choices. Yes it did visit you blog. Wow that's a lot of information. Great help.
I did have similar thoughts about using a trolly and pully to remove and install the transmission.
I think the biggest time will be spent on removing and reinstalling all the attached parts such as the hoses, cooler, linkages, .... But i guess this would be a chance to check and do maintenance on each item.
Thanks for the help.

You are correct. Great time to change everything out, and change fluid. Test temp sensor etc. Really is no big deal.

You could block up your engine and remove the transmission yourself if you had the tools available where you are. If your rear mounts are on the engine itself, you normally wouldn't have to jack or block the engine at all. Chances are it is the damper plate that failed which is easily replaced after the transmission is out or slid back.

Back
Top Bottom