Peplink + NEMO + Starlink = ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
First, apologies for no diagram. I'm killing time in a SBUX without my PC. I'll add a diagram later if needed.

Starting to think about commissioning my comms network. I have Starlink up and running standalone. I also have a Peplink BR1 5g router as core (plus Access Point) with a Peplink 42g wifi/cell antenna. Final component is a Rosepoint NEMO device (similar to Arctisense https://www.rosepoint.com/nemo-gateway/) that integrates/translates N2K signals and allows them to be broadcast to a PC (Coastal Explorer in my case). I also have a full suite of Simrad radar/MFDs, but my question pertains to configuration of my network. The NEMO is already connected to my N2K network, my question is connecting to wireless network. I see two options but maybe there are others.

(1)I could setup the NEMO as a separate network with a small travel router.

(2) I could hang it off a LAN port off the Peplink.

While I have your attention, I have an ethernet adapter for starlink that I was going to just hang off the Peplink BR1 5G. Any thoughts or concerns?

Thank you in advance for your help. I have no doubt you will save many grey hairs from forming and give me some time back in life

Peter

Can’t speak to the NEMO, but definitely plug your Starlink into the WAN port of the Peplink via Ethernet. Go full DC while you are at it to save yourself some juice. Easy to follow instructions here: https://svrenaissance.com/musings-about-starlink/

Agreed. Exactly what I did. So got rid of Starlink router, plugged into WAN on my Peplink router and switched to 12v from 110 ac per those instructions. Worked great

https://svrenaissance.com/musings-about-starlink/#powering-starlink-from-a-dc-power-source

I have no idea what all that means, sounds complex and overly complicated. (-;

Seems like centralizing everything on your Peplink router would be the way to go. Don't see any benefit in keeping your NEMO device off on a separate travel router, but maybe I am missing something.

We are looking at taking a bit of a different route on our internet communications network, primarily because we have found Starlink to be so good. We will be converting Starlink to 12v and installing a Peplink Balance 20 for failover between the Starlink and a T-mobile Home Internet device.

The T-mobile Home Internet device provides decent 5G connectivity at a very reasonable $25/mo (need to watch for a special, usually $50/mo), and at least for now they are not geofencing the device (that could change, which would likely cause us to move to a Peplink cellular router device).

The Peplink Balance 20 will send one of the WAN signals to a set of mesh routers (also 12v powered) - Starlink will be prioritized. The Peplink Balance 20 will probably not provide seamless failover without any service interruption (on a video call for example), but good enough for our purposes (really just don't want to reconfigure anything when we shut down Starlink for lower boat use months).

Nemo on the LAN, Starlink plugged directly into the WAN port on the Peplink. Same as others are suggesting.

I’m leaving my Peplink at home since it’s the only source of internet for home security when I have the Starlink on the boat that I can operate on a month to month data plan. I plan to run the Starlink router off the boat’s inverter, since its draw is only about 5 amps DC when on. Using the Starlink Ethernet adapter, I will connect the NEMO into the wireless network.

Tom

Just in case it makes your network reconfiguration any easier, you're unlikely to be using any cellular data while in Mexico. With a few exceptions, you rapidly loose signal once away from cities.

Amazing how quickly Starlink has become viable. When I bought the Peplink, I also purchased a pair of powerful antennae (5g and wifi). On another active thread on electric boats, a $3m dream-boat with concept drawings only had a press release from 11 months ago that touted possibility of Starlink as a main marketing claim - that they were betting it would be available.

If I were starting from scratch today, I doubt I'd go with the hi-end Peplink, though it is nice to have the option.

Where I think the peplink dual SIM configuration excels is in RVs where clear sky is not always possible.

Peter

Amazing how quickly Starlink has become viable. When I bought the Peplink, I also purchased a pair of powerful antennae (5g and wifi). On another active thread on electric boats, a $3m dream-boat with concept drawings only had a press release from 11 months ago that touted possibility of Starlink as a main marketing claim - that they were betting it would be available.

If I were starting from scratch today, I doubt I'd go with the hi-end Peplink, though it is nice to have the option.

Where I think the peplink dual SIM configuration excels is in RVs where clear sky is not always possible.

Peter

Completely agree. I did the same as you.

Those that just purchased VSAT terminals must be especially annoyed.

Completely agree. I did the same as you.

Those that just purchased VSAT terminals must be especially annoyed.

Yes, I upgraded in 2021 for almost $8,000

But... It served me when i needed it, and if you waitfor the new technology, maybe you will never leave the dock

Yes, I upgraded in 2021 for almost $8,000

But... It served me when i needed it, and if you waitfor the new technology, maybe you will never leave the dock

Ouch! When I needed to work remotely from Alaska in 2021 I rented an Iridium Certus terminal for $200/week and paid ~$2000 for 10GB of data. It was slow and unreliable but it worked just well enough for me to be able to take the trip. I consider every penny of it well spent!

This fellow has got some great configuration details documented for Peplink + Starlink: https://seabits.com/using-starlink-with-peplink/

Peplink WAN port use... by default if the WAN port "sees" a CAT5 link beat, it'll assume there is an Internet source there. If there is link beat but no Internet, the Peplink does not know that unless it is configured as described.

I think that is important for the Peplink to know there is no Internet connection so it can automatically use one of the other connections, i.e. VZW or T-Mobile or other cellular service that it can fail over to.

We have a dual modem Pepwave, with two different carriers. It'll automatically fail over to the second if first modem/carrier in the queue is lost or falls below "x" number of bars. When we add Starlink into the mix, we'll use the WAN port ... but we'll configure it as this fellow suggests, so that if Starlink looses Internet, it can fail over to the next best option.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom