Perkins 6.3544

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbouch

I have a new to me boat with a Perkins 6.3544m engine. Trying to decide on what the proper engine oil weight to use. The manual gives so many alternatives it confuses me. I am thinking of rotella either 15-40 or 20-40..what do others use. Also the same question on a mariner mg4d generator. The manual says 2 quarts but gives no weight. Any suggestions??

A previous boat of mine had this engine. I always used Rotella 15-40. Still use the same in a Lehman 135. It's good dependable oil. Look for sales online; I bought several gallons from West Marine last winter at a ridiculously low price ... and free shipping.

Right or wrong I use rotella SAE 30 with a Perkins oil filter on our Perkins 6.354

I use Rotella T5 10W30 in both Perkins 6.354 and Kubota based Phasor generator. Oil analysis comes back excellent. ~5500 hours. My boat is based in SW Florida. No engine block heater.

Oil filters for the Perkins:
NAPA Gold 1773

Baldwin BT237
Sierra 18-7887

Yes, I ran into the same issue reading manuals, online material, and asking friends that are excellent mechanics. Asked the local Napa owner that sells oil to all the local fisherman and he suggested Delo 15W40 and that is what I went with. The engine is only ran during the summer months. No complaints. Oil pressure remained strong. I did read that some believe detergent oils cause breakdown of gaskets on older engines. I suppose that remains to be seen.

Any reputable brand SAE 30 or SAE 15W-40 diesel lube will be fine. I use Rotella brand, not because I think it is best, but you can get it anywhere at a reasonable price.

I usually run mine about 3/4 quart low , seems to hold down the leaks. My Perkins leaks oil like a Harley.

I use 15/40 Delo works great used it in my previous 4.108 with good results. I agree with others any that any oil that meets the modern diesel specifications will work great. As far as detergent vs non, the engine would have to be pretty old to not have had detergent oil in it which started in the 50’s. I know when I was a mechanic in the 70’s if someone wanted non detergent we had to get it, it wasn’t something we stocked. Detergent doesn’t attack the seals but it does attack the crud that builds up on the seals if you have not been using detergent oil and that crud is sometimes the only thing keeping the oil in :)

I usually run mine about 3/4 quart low , seems to hold down the leaks. My Perkins leaks oil like a Harley.

Delo 15W40 here in my Perkins 4.236's. Now I also run it 3/4 qt low on the stick and it remains stable there. When I used to top it off, it would burn down in about 15 hrs.

If my Perkins isn't leaking, it's low on oil. I call it "Perkins patina". :D

I don't know if this applies to the range 4 series Perkins or (T)6.3544, but it does apply to the older (T)6.354 engines.
One of the 3 studs that are used to mount the starboard forward engine mounts go into a pressurized oil gallery. I forget which one.
You can remove them one by one, and seal them with RTV.
I did that on the original engine that was in my old Mainship 1 and that stopped all of my oil leakage.

Back
Top Bottom