Photo shoot goes bad, boat goes on without it's three passengers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The boat did a fairly good job of docking itself.
Maybe a few scuffs on the hull, but I'm sure they'll buff out.

That's pretty much how most people run their boats on any given weekend in South Florida. I'm surprised anyone noticed it, frankly.

I thought it was regulation to wear a cut off lanyard in an open boat like that.

If so, hopefully charges pending.

(Edit) New law in place stating they must be on board on boats under 26 feet - but it is not mandated that they are actually used

What's the sense in that?

Last edited:
I thought it was regulation to wear a cut off lanyard in an open boat like that.

(Edit) New law in place stating they must be on board on boats under 25 feet - but it is not mandated that they are actually used

Because Freedom!

Docking

OK, so he was just a tad fast coming in. Give the guy a break. Haven't we "kissed" a dock once or twice? Other than that it looked OK, right?

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. Glad no serious injuries.

Hopefully the guy whose dock got cut in two will take the highest bidder on the repair.

Ted

(Edit) New law in place stating they must be on board on boats under 26 feet - but it is not mandated that they are actually used

In NJ it is...but they do regulate a little too much there.

Though the safety lanyard on larger boats (say express cruisers starting to get above 25 feet where the operator is constantly reaching away from the helm and pulling the lanyard at speed) is actually as much a safety detriment as a help

That looked like the first/last time my wife tried to dock our old boat.

Wonder what finally shut down the engine? Maybe threw a rod going airborne on first dock.

I don’t think older boats had lanyards.

Wonder what finally shut down the engine? Maybe threw a rod going airborne on first dock.
Years ago, I set off in my dinghy to capture the unmanned outboard powered inflatable of a fellow Club member after she accidentally fully opened the throttle,in gear, while just avoiding falling in the water coming alongside her sailboat and stepping onboard. It began doing circles,it ran into the sailboat, hard, and somehow to my relief the motor stopped. I was intending to get along side it and somehow either turn off the motor, or lasso it, or something, glad I didn`t have to try it.

It looks like the boat split the dock. Video caption says concrete dock. Probably sheared the lower unit off. No prop, no go.

It looks like the boat split the dock. Video caption says concrete dock. Probably sheared the lower unit off. No prop, no go.
You can see the prop spray when it hits the second dock then stops completely. Maybe the battery ripped out its connections. Who knows. I was expecting to see the motor run on the beach, overheat and seize but it didn't.

Years ago, I set off in my dinghy to capture the unmanned outboard powered inflatable of a fellow Club member after she accidentally fully opened the throttle,in gear, while just avoiding falling in the water coming alongside her sailboat and stepping onboard. It began doing circles,it ran into the sailboat, hard, and somehow to my relief the motor stopped. I was intending to get along side it and somehow either turn off the motor, or lasso it, or something, glad I didn`t have to try it.
I once saw a guy running an inflatable sitting on the tube hit the throttle in a turn and get thrown overboard. He managed to hang onto something but he was on the 'outside' of the turn. If he let go the prop would have chewed him up. A large work boat rescued him. The capt managed to bring his boat into position so the inflatable hit the work boat on a nearly parallel course. In the brief time they were close a deck hand jumped about 6 ft down into the inflatable and shut it down. Saved his bacon.

Back
Top Bottom