Pod drive????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone had mentioned that they believed Prestige was IPS only. FWIW, we checked out their 550 when it was first released and it was offered with Zeus drives.

I think they're IPS only now though, but might be wrong. Natural they would be since they're in Italy.

I'm so happy now that we've had a couple of very happy pod buyers/owners to post. We need the perspective as there are thousands of happy pod owners.

I think they're IPS only now though, but might be wrong. Natural they would be since they're in Italy.

I'm so happy now that we've had a couple of very happy pod buyers/owners to post. We need the perspective as there are thousands of happy pod owners.

Maybe you can point out to me who had a positive review ,there are a couple that were not quite as negative ,nobody would do it over again ,I haven’t read one yet

Why don’t you just get a couple of outboards ,have Mounts built so you can spin them 360° and call them pod Drives,

FWIW... in my latest ongoing boat search, one of the boats I lust after is the Sabre 42. In the past two years of the ones I've seen listed for sale, three described having new engines and pods (Cummins-Zeus), despite having low original hours (under around 200-ish).

I called about each of them, and in each case, the story was the same: the owner hit something, completely sheared off a pod, it wasn't a water-tight seal, the engine compartment got flooded, and hydro-locked the engines - resulting in complete replacement of both engines and pods.

I understand pods are supposed to form a water-tight seal if sheared off, and that anything can happen in an individual incident. What struck me was three apparent cases of hitting something with a Cummins-Zeus pod that did not result in a water-tight seal, and resulted in complete loss of the engines.

When I've shared these observations with brokers trying to sell me pod boats, they say, "Impossible! There must have been other damage, such as a complete hull breach." If it was one isolated case I could completely understand, but three similar incidents? (I would also think a catastrophic hull breach might result in something worse than hydro-locking the engines).

Again, your mileage may vary. There are probably many people out there very happy with their pod drives for their use. I guess I'm just too old-school. I like to be able to survive (and hopefully get to safety under my own power) in most scenarios. For my peace of mind, there's nothing like a full keel and protected running gear.

My own true story: about 20 years ago, my wife and I were looking at a new American Tug 34. We took it for a sea trial, my wife took the helm - and ran hard aground on a sand bar at 15 knots. Absolutely nothing happened. The dealer chuckled, put it in reverse, we backed off, and went on our way (we bought that very boat and enjoyed it for years, I still regret selling it).

I can't help but wonder how that incident would have turned out with pod drives. It probably wouldn't have gone as painlessly and easily as it did with the American Tug.

Maybe you can point out to me who had a positive review ,there are a couple that were not quite as negative ,nobody would do it over again ,I haven’t read one yet

There are definitely happy pod users out there. But I have a feeling that most of the boating demographic likely to be happy with pods isn't the same as the demographic likely to join this forum. That said, I wouldn't personally want pods.

There are definitely happy pod users out there. But I have a feeling that most of the boating demographic likely to be happy with pods isn't the same as the demographic likely to join this forum. That said, I wouldn't personally want pods.

Interestingly, in WWII the Navy had Detroit 6-71 diesels mounted to a vertical stern drive unit. These were mounted on stern of small barges and small workboats. My father owned a couple of these. Definitely old school and mechanical. Gearing was under water on the lower leg.
Also, have recently heard of a sinking of a pod boat the ran up on shore. Pulling it off in reverse direction caused the breakaway design to not be effective and holed the boat during the procedure. Swinging off by the bow was thought to have had a better chance of no hull damage. Makes sense. Good to know.

Interestingly, in WWII the Navy had Detroit 6-71 diesels mounted to a vertical stern drive unit. These were mounted on stern of small barges and small workboats. My father owned a couple of these. Definitely old school and mechanical. Gearing was under water on the lower leg.
Also, have recently heard of a sinking of a pod boat the ran up on shore. Pulling it off in reverse direction caused the breakaway design to not be effective and holed the boat during the procedure. Swinging off by the bow was thought to have had a better chance of no hull damage. Makes sense. Good to know.

Those were called "Harbor master " setups. a 6-71 on a skid with an outboard type leg that could be mounted on just about anything ,just as you say. I'm sure their were other size engines too..probably 8/71's and 12/71's...

Those were called "Harbor master " setups. a 6-71 on a skid with an outboard type leg that could be mounted on just about anything ,just as you say. I'm sure their were other size engines too..probably 8/71's and 12/71's...

Thanks for adding a bit of detail. Great memory!

One thing being missed in all this discussion is the OP's location in Italy. That introduces two factors to the equation.

1-The issues of grounding and ICW and all those warnings being issues here are really not relevant for cruising in Italy.

2-While IPS is very popular there, I do not know how much service is available on Zeus. As it's mostly a US concoction by Mercury and Cummins, that would worry me some.

Yup,my concern too

One thing being missed in all this discussion is the OP's location in Italy. That introduces two factors to the equation.

1-The issues of grounding and ICW and all those warnings being issues here are really not relevant for cruising in Italy.

2-While IPS is very popular there, I do not know how much service is available on Zeus. As it's mostly a US concoction by Mercury and Cummins, that would worry me some.

Here in Croatia, where I will do 99 percent of the cruising,underwater obstacles are not an issue. Everywhere, you are in 10 meters of water 10 meters from shore. My chief concern is finding cummins service. I was not that concerned before but now, after hearing of all the issues I am going to take a pass.

Found a nice little fountaine pajot motor cat that will work well.

Thanks all.

Gordon

Here in Croatia, where I will do 99 percent of the cruising,underwater obstacles are not an issue. Everywhere, you are in 10 meters of water 10 meters from shore. My chief concern is finding cummins service. I was not that concerned before but now, after hearing of all the issues I am going to take a pass.

Thanks all.

Gordon

We just left Croatia Saturday night. Liike Fountaine Pajot's motor cats also. Yes, typical marinas there warn of shallow and only 5 meters near shore. That's right, meters where US boaters are more likely to see feet. The boat we're in has 4 ft draft so no issues in Croatia or the Med.

Count me as a happy Pod owner. (@Moparharn, its Scott next door.) 2017 46' Sea Ray cruiser with twin Zeus pods. Bought for the added interior space, not for handling - FWIW I think a twin diesel with a bow thruster is just as easy to handle around the dock.

I'm not a newbie either, but not a trawler guy - but I enjoy your banter.

Scott

Last edited:
My experience is Cummins/Zeus drives is limited, but everyone I know who had them had serious problem$ with them. Cummins' support for these drives has been very poor. Don't go there . . . RUN, don't walk.

MiltB

Not a comment about drives but when we were looking at Grand Banks we discovered they have big problems with those side diesel tanks being iron and developing leaks. Not an easy fix we were led to believe, because to access and replace them is to remove the floor or cut the side deck. We looked at many and they all seemed to have a deficiency in this area so we passed in favor of a DeFever which we loved.

Maybe the pods will go the way of the tunnel drive??

We are driving to look at a 2011 grand banks heritage in Italy tomorrow. It has pod drives. Anyone here have experience with them? I like the simplicity of a straight shaft, but maybe this is progress.

Thanks
Gordon

I have no personal experience with them but a couple of boating friends have them on their newer boats. I've wondered from the very first they were announced: why would anyone want to set up an underwater structure on their boat so the first thing that comes into contact with any obstruction are the drive props?

Frankly, those drive may be great for AIS/GPS assisted station keeping, but I wouldn't want them on my boat!

Not a comment about drives but when we were looking at Grand Banks we discovered they have big problems with those side diesel tanks being iron and developing leaks. Not an easy fix we were led to believe, because to access and replace them is to remove the floor or cut the side deck. We looked at many and they all seemed to have a deficiency in this area so we passed in favor of a DeFever which we loved.

Old problem and OP was looking at recent boat. Lots of things changed.

Maybe the pods will go the way of the tunnel drive??

We act like pods are a fad. Azipods and other pod systems have been propelling commercial ships, cruise ships and ferries for decades. Pods have their places and some will be with us for a long time. Figuring out the good uses and the bad and the good pods and the bad will go on for a long time as well. A lot of pods being sold on recreational boats.

Oh, and as to Tunnel Drive, I guess Penn Yan isn't here to push them and now more pocket drives than tunnels but still a few tunnels being used. First tunnel drives were designed for military vessels so they could beach without damage.

POD drives

No personal experience, but a few months back a shiny new Tiara with pod drives came into the ship yard with one missing...The log was still floating.

Never ceases to amaze me no matter how strong the evidence is they’ll keep arguing their side ,you know what PT Barnum said

For every boater that has lost a pod or ruined a prop there are probably 10,000
that have not. Just sayin'...

Like I mentioned to you in the private message I sold the GB with pods and won’t buy another. Current GB has shafts, easier to maintain, any mechanic can work on them and they are simple. Pods may have an advantage but I know they have a disadvantage.

Good luck

Thanks all.

Gordon
If you buy the FP powercat post a thread and some pictures. I have a Greenland 34 and hoping to trade up to something bigger in the next year or so. Best of luck with it.

Thrust, transmission, steering, trim, exhaust, water, synchronization. All through the one hole. What could go wrong?

Thrust, transmission, steering, trim, exhaust, water, synchronization. All through the one hole. What could go wrong?

:rofl:

You, sir, get the gold medal both for summing it up perfectly, and for stand-up comedy!

Met a guy with Volvo pod drives on a Meridian 411. He hates them. Nothing but trouble.
But his were the first generation. Some of the "kinks" may have been worked out on later models.

Always liked the look of these...

Attachments

• Props.jpg
    Props.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 38
Met a guy with Volvo pod drives on a Meridian 411. He hates them. Nothing but trouble.
But his were the first generation. Some of the "kinks" may have been worked out on later models.
Just clarifying unless that boat's owner did a one-off re-power with Volvos... The Meridian 411 was never manufactured with pods. Meridian's 441 and 541 were their pod driven boats, exclusively Cummins/Zeus, never Volvos.

Just clarifying unless that boat's owner did a one-off re-power with Volvos... The Meridian 411 was never manufactured with pods. Meridian's 441 and 541 were their pod driven boats, exclusively Cummins/Zeus, never Volvos.

Yes, no chance Brunswick was ever going to use Volvo.

Back
Top Bottom