propane tank re-fill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only use the exchange when cruising or if I have an expired tank. When at home I refill the tanks on the barbeque, it is cheaper per pound. But there I have a car and can go the 5 miles to UHaul.

Interesting. I searched some more and found some sources which agree with this, and others which agree with the guy at the refill station who told me that 20 lbs is the 80% full amount.

I'd still rather have 80% than 75% for about the same money (or less) but I do want good information to base my decisions on. Plus I don't want to give bad information here!

I have an old tank I may take the valve off and actually measure the volume once I've used it up.

Tom, that tank should hold about 4.6 gallons, filled to the top. I just dug out my last receipt for a 20lb bottle which was run empty. Tractor Supply put 3.8 gallons in it before it started to vent off. So for the 4.6 gallon tank, 3.8 gallons equated to 82.6%.

And I'm totally with you in being frustrated paying full price for a 75% BlueRhino fill when a legal "full" tank is 80%!

I got this on the DOT website.

STOP! Never refill 1 lb. propane bottles

Video

Summary: The U.S. Department of Transportation, cautions the public to never refill DOT 39 cylinders, such as the 1lb. cylinders used for camping. These types of containers were not designed to withstand the stresses of emptying and refilling.

Never Refill 1 lb Propane Bottles video screen shot

Never Refill 1 lb., Propane Bottles (DOT-39 cylinders)[4:21]:

The public is cautioned to never refill DOT 39 cylinders, i.e., 1 lb., cylinders used for camping. DOT 39 cylinders, of any size, are strictly non-refillable. Hazmat incidents involving refilled DOT 39 cylinders have occurred, including one fatality.
Been doing it for last 25 years or so. No issues. I do inspect the bottle for rust and such. Once I refill I let it sit for an hour before stowing then.

I also let mine sit out for a few hours.
I don’t refill them any longer though as I don’t have storage for empties and now that I’m retired I have time to shop for new when needed.

Been doing it for last 25 years or so. No issues. I do inspect the bottle for rust and such. Once I refill I let it sit for an hour before stowing then.

Sorry Tom..... but the fact that you have been lucky for all that time does not make it safe nor a "good idea". :dance:
Based on my many years in the Fire Service (at a large, busy Fire Department), I can tell you refilling (especially multiple times) bottles that were not designed for doing so, is dangerous!!!
Hey, bud, I just don't want to hear about something bad happening to you or your wife! :thumb:

Last edited:
Yes, you don’t want” He saved $3 on propane “ on your headstone…

The 16.4 oz refillable propane containers are DOT & TC certified for 12 years (10 years in Canada) as well as UL1769 listed.

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-R...ocphy=1027744&hvtargid=pla-1940946332782&th=1

If you refill 1lb propane containers,, I heartily recommend you use tanks that are designed, tested, and certified to be consumer refillable. I used to use refill the disposable tanks and never had a problem, but at less than $17 per tank, these are a much better and safer alternative.

This is just one brand, there are others, and other sources to purchase from as well.

Sorry Tom..... but the fact that you have been lucky for all that time does not make it safe nor a "good idea". :dance:

In the absence of reliable safety data, the huge amount of anecdotal experience reporting no problems (at least I have never heard of anyone having an actually unsafe experience as a result of using refilled bottles) has to account for something. As far as government regulations saying it is a bad idea, I suspect that the manufacturers of those bottles cleverly recognized that demand would be enhanced if bottles couldn't be reused. I suspect they specifically pushed for non-reusable status.

A few notes

1. Commercially, Propane is sold by volume (gals) not weight.
2. A 5-gal propane bottle has an overflow vent that allows it to be filled to 80% by volume, so 4-gals which is just under 17-lbs. The exchange cylinders are filled to 15-lbs, so almost 11% less. An excellent example of "shrink-flation."
3. Through the magic of Amazon, just about every possible gas adapter is available so the 1-lb bottles are no longer needed.
4. During the Pandemic, I discovered Cynch propane exchange service. For around $20, they will pick-up an empty and deliver a full propane bottle (albeit 15-lb fill). Fantastic service.

Peter

Good to know refillable 1lb bottles are available and certified for 10 years in Canada. Well advertised such, the GOV site does not agree.

In the nanny state we live in everything is considered dangerous for the average person to be doing. A google search did not find an abundance of death, injury or fires caused by refilling, except in India where the mixture is 3>1 Butane/propane.

Refilled two 1lb bottles outdoors without event. However there is a burst of propane when unscrewing from adapter so put out that cigarette first. Had to try this for the experience as I hardly ever use a 1lb bottle.

Many, many safety warnings can be found with reasons not to do it. It is illegal in Canada, yet legal to buy a refill kit and refillable bottle, weird?

If there was only one, let’s say, it wouldn’t be a significant factor unless it was your boat. And how do you know that you won’t be the unlucky one that blows up. I have seen a boat blow up and kill several people. Don’t want it to ever happen to my boat. Just to save a few bucks per 1 pound tank it isn’t worth it, at least to me anyway.

Sports Basement and others sell refillable 1lb propane bottles. The regular green bottles are not refillable per DOT regulations. You can buy a refill attachment on Amazon to fill from the 5lb bottle. Very easy and safe.

Yes, I believe FireKing (manufacturer) sells a refillable (DOT approved) 1 pound bottles and refill kit.

My understanding was the DOT prohibits them from being transported on highways after being refilled, but unless there is some state or local law against it, I am not sure there is any "law" against refilling them except common sense. That doesn't mean I didn't do it for years or wouldn't do it now...I just found a better alternative.

The bottles have gone up in price and are not very attractive unless you have a system of larger tanks handy to refill from. The kit to refill is also expensive and there are good ones on Amazon for a lot less (also easy to make).

Soe argue it is time consuming which is correct till you "get it". Then it just takes a couple minutes to prepare and fill a bottle and even less for multiple ones.

As I explained to a lot of RV naysayers when explaining why I do it... it is because of convenience, less so than saving money. I can carry 2 small pottles and the little valve (east to store on a smaller boat or RV) and refill my 2 little tanks wherever I am anywhere someone has a 20lb bottle and will give/loan some propane when I run out.

I found for boats.... the 20 pond bottle exchange along the ACIW was good too. Many marinas know of services that will come to the marina to exchange with you or there are local businesses that have the racks outside.

Last edited:
I spent almost $200 on a Viking composite propane tank. Now I can't get it filled. Seems that Suburban Propane has sent a directive to all its outlets not to fill composite propane tanks.

I spent almost $200 on a Viking composite propane tank. Now I can't get it filled. Seems that Suburban Propane has sent a directive to all its outlets not to fill composite propane tanks.

That’s unfortunate. I know there were some composite tanks that were having issues, but it seems like suburban just put a blanket “don’t fill” for all of them.
I love the concept of a composite tank, so much upside.

Back
Top Bottom