Proper USCG documented vessel signage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve read the USCG requirements for signage, posted on the stern and clearly visible……
Since our dinghy is on our swim platform, my husband wants to put it above the boat’s stern on the rail wall. It will be clearly visible there. Does anyone know if that will be a problem?

I had it both places just to be sure.

Nice one on the stern (behind the dingy) and a simple piece of black starboard with the required size white lettering mounted to the rail on the after part of the flybridge.

If on the stern you are technically in compliance. There are no exact requirements for WHERE the markings can be clearly seen. My personal view as a former USCG LE individual... if a helicopter or approaching small boat cannot read your name/hailing port from a safe distance...then I suggest a secondary marking which is still subject to dispute. Bottom line....gray area.

CFR title-46/chapter-I/subchapter-G/part-67/subpart-I
Recreational vessels. For vessels documented exclusively for recreation, the name and hailing port must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull.
(d) The markings required by paragraphs (a), (b), and (c) of this section, which may be made by the use of any means and materials which result in durable markings, must be made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals not less than four inches in height.

§ 67.125 Disputes.​

The OCMI for the zone in which the vessel is principally operated has final authority in any disputes concerning the permanence, durability, legibility, or placement of a vessel's markings.

I’ve read the USCG requirements for signage, posted on the stern and clearly visible……
Since our dinghy is on our swim platform, my husband wants to put it above the boat’s stern on the rail wall. It will be clearly visible there. Does anyone know if that will be a problem?
Have seen it done in a number of different ways. If it's clearly visible from behind, most law enforcement will give you a pass for making the effort to comply.

While I rarely pass other boats because of my cruising speed, if you want people to call on the radio to give you a slow pass, make it easy to read your boat's name.

Ted

Also the size, color and type font of your marking are important in others ability to read while still a ways behind you.

IMG_20200603_094801125.jpg

I had a vinyl "banner" made up at a sign shop. I can hang that on the aft flybridge railing if I'm covering the transom with a dinghy. And, as was pointed out, it's easier to see by anyone behind you wanting to overtake. This is less of an issue with AIS these days.

I've seen quite a few with the dinghy in Weaver davits and the name and port marked on the bottom of the dinghy as well as on the big boat transom. Visible whether the dinghy is there or not.

The name and hailing port need to be at least 4” tall letters. They need to be together. If the dinghy obscures the name on the transom some people put the name and port on the bottom of the dinghy so when the dinghy is tipped up the name and port are visible . That doesn’t meet the requirements of the rules but most LE will give you some slack if you have the name and port on the transom and on the dinghy bottom. You are making a sincere attempt to meet the rules.

If the dinghy is on davits and can't display the name/hailing port well..... then the name board on the aft rail spot is probably even better as the bottom of a dinghy can take some abuse and obscure some of the markings.

Back
Top Bottom