Question about flying the US flag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you take down the stern flag at night? When underway or only when moored or anchored? I leave mine up the whole time the boat is in use. Is that a Faux Pas?

Do you take down the stern flag at night? When underway or only when moored or anchored? I leave mine up the whole time the boat is in use. Is that a Faux Pas?
Down at night unless illuminated. My stern steaming light works for that. But at anchor or in a slip down at night.
On the sailboat it was no issue. Flag staff was easily rotated which furled the flag quickly and then an elastic to keep it that way. On the trawler the staff is aft on the boat deck and harder to get to with solar panels in front of it. But fortunately the steaming light works for it. If that wasn’t the case would either move the mount or rig a light. Have thought it’s a good idea to fly the flag in international waters or foreign. That way a VHF call is more likely to start in American English I can understand. Still it’s good to have some Spanish and French. Fortunately it seems even the Koreans, Russians and Philippinos have some English. I wish I had better language skills.

We wrap the flag around the pole and slip a cover over it at night and when we are not using the boat.

I am still pondering what this meant.... and what it has to do with the OP......

"Find it interesting that there’s no protocol for the 3 initial crowd who have also risked life and limb in the service of our country. Particularly for those who have done wet work."

I would love to know who on TF did "wet work" :eek:

Last edited:
Folks have different backgrounds. They live and meet and know and are related to different people. It is a relevant concern to me and I don’t doubt to others. Particularly those of the CAT and air America generations as well as the current alphabet soup.

Was making an objective comment. These people do serve us all and often at significant risk to themselves. Doesn’t serve to be snide. Do note here on this thread you comment in a deprecating fashion your belief most of the public is uneducated to protocol and disrespectful of those who serve. Rather than insult a segment of our population perhaps respectfully educating them when time arises would be more fruitful. Perhaps less hubris would be as well. You might be surprised by the back stories of some in the group you insult routinely.

Yes we have no significant differences in logic. Something is logical or not. But a major difference in how we view others and treat them.
Have another go at me and I’ll remind you of simple curtesy once again.

Last edited:
anything anywhere anytime

Lowered at sunset wether underway or stopped. Then raised again at 0800 the next day.

Flying the Flag at the stern as well the cruisers/sailing website flag on the port halyard.

Attachments

• coot with sails.JPG
    coot with sails.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 34
Also fly flag 24/7 when in service.

Well, the flag police won't be happy with me...... I have known this was the protocol on land, but would have thought that a boat's nationality should be identified 24x7 when in service.

The general rules of etiquette say fly it at night when entering or leaving port, but I don't see much about leaving it up all the time while underway. But it might infer, not flying it 24x7...

I don't recall any guidance I have come across in all my years, and all my brain can focus on is all those trips on USCG cutters for all those years, the colors remained up....usually on a mast and lit as well as the USCG flag.

That was to let others know who we were and what we were capable of.

I would say that on a stern staff and a light, even if stern light illuminated it (even if not to museum quality) it is OK..... bottom line is respectful as much as anything.

Well, the flag police won't be happy with me...... I have known this was the protocol on land, but would have thought that a boat's nationality should be identified 24x7 when in service.

I agree with you.
We are talking PROPER protocols. Apparently we are not proper. I only take the small US flag down is when I change it to a new flag.
Historically, we could turn them in to the Boy Scouts for a flag burning ceremony but, I cant find a troop in a metro area so, I just put them in my condo attic.

Someone have a better idea, please share it.

I did have a small US Flag that went though Ian. Someone wanted it. All tattered and bit faded. I guess he wanted it to show others.

Last edited:
I agree with you.
We are talking PROPER protocols. Apparently we are not proper. I only take the small US flag down is when I change it to a new flag.
Historically, we could turn them in to the Boy Scouts for a flag burning ceremony but, I cant find a troop in a metro area so, I just put them in my condo attic.

Someone have a better idea, please share it.

I did have a small US Flag that went though Ian. Someone wanted it. All tattered and bit faded. I guess he wanted it to show others.

Many VFWs take the flags.... a few I have used had an old corner mailbox painted up just inside their door where you could drop off a flag.

Many VFWs take the flags.... a few I have used had an old corner mailbox painted up just inside their door where you could drop off a flag.

The VFW earned a bad rep when it came to sailors. During WWII a sign was posted, “Dogs and sailors keep out.” That was enough for me.

Look at what swabbies call Coasties all the time... but I still saved a few in my day....:D

The VFW guys still respect the flag so that is good enough for me, and even with 23 years service I can't just join a VFW.... but I can live with that and drop a flag off that deserves the right treatment.

Just my opinion. The VFW made their rules. I think they are now a desperate for members.

The VFW earned a bad rep when it came to sailors. During WWII a sign was posted, “Dogs and sailors keep out.” That was enough for me.

I’m not sure about the sailors, but the dog part would make it a no-go for me.

I would say that on a stern staff and a light, even if stern light illuminated it (even if not to museum quality) it is OK..... bottom line is respectful as much as anything.

I’m can’t say if this is logical or correct, but we run our flag 24/7 if under way, except in case of rain, when we bring it in. There is no doubt some amount of light on it, so I guess that’s my loophole. I feel like our boat is naked without the flag while running, and all the more so if outside of the U.S.

I run 24/7 when underway, rain or shine. Never occurred to me to do otherwise. I am no authority, but I just never equated the land-based rules to be applicable to a boat that is "flagged" to show nationality.

Peter

The borders of the EU are formed by the outside land borders. If you are sailing outside the land borders (e.g. when you leaving a border harbour) you are outside the European borders. You are then in international waters as far as you are not sailing inside the so called three mile zone of a country. In the three mile zone the country has territorial sovereignty. So when you were sailing in the three mile zone of Portugal I think the Portugese customs were right about the guest flag as the Portugese law was applicable.
/QUOTE]

Agree Mr Blu. We were entering PT territorial waters and quick to acknowledge our error and replace the prior Spanish courtesy flag, which hitherto we had only done when approaching a destination anchorage/harbor in the new country.

Yup makes sense to show the flag while underway for reasons mentioned above. Some people don’t going between Grenada and Trinidad. But they also turn off steaming lights and take down radar reflectors wanting to keep as low a profile as possible. As with many boating things “it depends”. Personally don’t think that it matters. You’re a big enough target to spot. If you are smart you go in a flotilla of fellow cruisers so will be visible on radar. Perhaps turning off AIS might help a little if everyone does. But dropping the flag I don’t think matters at all.
Some think in other settings they won’t be well received with our flag up. Also think that’s wrong. First if you’re respectful and polite you help break that stereotype. Second it’s illegal. Third I’m proud to be an American. Think me and my crew can be ambassadors for our country and should behave as such when on foreign soil or in foreign waters.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple. The stern flag shows the registry country of the BOAT. The nationality of the captain or crew is irrelevant.

The courtesy flag is when the BOAT is visiting a different country. As the name implies, it's a courtesy to fly it, but you don't have to if you want to be offensive.

^^ This and only THIS ^^^

In the US we treat courtesy flags like bumper stickers, proudly announcing our personalities and hobbies.

There is no other answer other than above.

Everything else is merely opinion. But I particularly love the analogy to interstate US travel. Very Amero-centric thinking.

On a flotilla trip in Turkey, with 14 Canadian boats, we flew the German flag from the taffrail, as the boat was registered there, the Turkish Courtesy flag from the Starboard spreader, as we were in Turkey, and the Canadian flag below the Turkish Courtesy, to show who we were on board.
We strayed into a "Military Activity" area, similar to the WG area in our home waters, and the Turkish Naval vessel that came to shoo us out was thankful that we had identified ourselves as Canadian, so that his instructions could be understood in English and broadcast only once for all of the strays.

Thought etiquette was to fly crew, club or other nonessential flags on port. Only fly Q or curtesy on starboard. Am I wrong?

The crew flag on port - yes, if it makes you comfortable. Call for transportation - yes if you are anchored out “Diver down” - yes. Red flag when refueling - yes but, most folks dont that.
Other flags on the port halyard … I have an opinion but will keep it to myself.

Back
Top Bottom