question regarding strenth of binoculars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, you don't ask for A binocular, you just say hand me my bino's or my binoculars. You don't say, hand me a pair of binos. And also whats the first part of the word?? BI, which means two, right? So a pair of BInoculars is redundant.
No BI with pants, glasses, scissors or pliers etc.
I think you are right. "Bi" vs "mono". Ah, the joys of language. Though usage sometimes beats logic.

I like it that people say that 7x50s are the standard. Maybe 30 to 50 years ago that was very true. Just because they were fine before stabilized binoculars were available doesn’t mean that they are the standard today. Maybe some don’t want to adapt to newer technology but newer technology is generally better. And stabilized binoculars are certainly better than 7x50s. Most of the people that argue against stabilized binoculars either have not used them or do not own them. However a decades old standard doesn’t mean that it is the best available.

Stabilized binoculars are certainly a nice upgrade. But for non-stabilized, 7x50 or 8x50 is still a pretty good standard to go by.

I would argue that they are a sub standard. The standard should be the best within reason. You can get a cheap pair of stabilized binoculars for less than $500.

Most stabilized binoculars have fairly small exit pupils, however. So you don't get as bright an image as one with a large exit pupil like a 7x50. That means they aren't nearly as useful for seeing at dusk, for example. Ideally, because of that issue, you'd have both a stabilized high magnification set and a bright, lower magnification set. High magnification binoculars will never be as bright because they'd end up being impractically large.

I have never tried the stabilized binos, so I cannot comment on their usefulness, which I don't however doubt. Binos like many things can have personal attachment issues. My own Nikon 7x50 glass was a gift from my wife to me when in 1984 after lots of hard work, sea time, and necessary schooling etc., I attained my CG issued 200 ton Tugboat Operators license. Thus it is the only glass I have used since that time, both while working on tugs and cruising on my own boats.
So while I have no doubt the newer stuff is likely better, I have no desire to move beyond what I have, which is a superb binocular. They were close to $500 at the time of purchase.

Most stabilized binoculars have fairly small exit pupils, however. So you don't get as bright an image as one with a large exit pupil like a 7x50. That means they aren't nearly as useful for seeing at dusk, for example. Ideally, because of that issue, you'd have both a stabilized high magnification set and a bright, lower magnification set. High magnification binoculars will never be as bright because they'd end up being impractically large.

I think that if you surveyed the members here as to how many actually go out at night it would surprise you how few actually go out at night. However if you surveyed them as to age I think that the average age would be pretty old. That said as you get older your vision isn’t as good so a more powerful pair of binoculars is very helpful. We have a stabilized set and a pair of 7x50s. We never use the 7x50s, even near dusk we use the stabilized pair. Have you used a stabilized set near dusk? I don’t think it is as big of an issue as you might think. When we are cruising we find that with the stabilized more powerful binoculars we can actually read the numbers on ATONs probably twice as far away as we can with the 7x50s. And that is certainly valuable.

I've used stabilized binoculars, but I don't have a set on my own boat. A few times when arriving somewhere right at dusk I have found the 7x50s to come in handy for the brightness. In one case, I didn't really need magnification at all, but the object I was looking at was brighter through the binoculars than to the naked eye, which made it easier to confirm what I was seeing.

I'm young with good eyes though, so that probably factors into not having a frequent desire for more magnification. Most of the time, if something is too far away for me to identify it with the 7x50s, it's far enough away that I don't care about it yet. Or the issue is finding it at all more than identifying it.

The cannons i have are very interesting. Touch the button and the image just freezes in place giving me more detail. One thing i did notice while looking at stuff ,while the wife was driving at 65 mph or so, that if i looked at the asphalt the lines in the road froze like working with a strobe light or timing light. Have no idea why but it seemed odd to be able get detail of the road as it went under me at 65 mph.

We use a WWII surplus 16 power telescope.

Most use is looking to pick a number off a buoy , and a quick shot will usually be enough.

The very large light gathering ability helps at dusk .

In a harbor the 16 power is no problem , works well after dusk.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Navy-Spyglas...II-US-Field-Gear-Equipment/4721/bn_7022098046

Folks that may have guests aboard may find an old pair of yard sale binocs great to leave out for guests

Last edited:

Yeah, and eye relief is much smaller, more critical. I haven't been comfortable wearing eyeglasses and trying to use a stabilized binoc at the same time.

My other criticism is the whole center-focus thing. Which usually translates to "never immediately in focus at the range I'm currently looking at." I'm so used to constant focus, never having to yutz around with a focus wheel, that changing to a center focus binoc (like the smaller, lighter weight ones I use for hunting) drives me crazy.

When we are cruising we find that with the stabilized more powerful binoculars we can actually read the numbers on ATONs probably twice as far away as we can with the 7x50s. And that is certainly valuable.

Indeed; that's wifey's main use, too. Secondary benefit to me is that I don't have to fool with her center focus binoc. :)

-Chris

Last edited:
We have had a pair of Steiner 7 x 50 Commander V binoculars for over 20 years, at which point they were so beat up from heavy use that we sent them back to Steiner to be refurbished. And low and behold they sent us a new pair. Also of note is they have excellent low light performance. They are pricey, but you will never need to buy another pair of binocs.

My Canon’s are 18x50.

For those that mentioned constant focus, yes, that's invaluable on the boat. You focus the binoculars to the user and then you're good to go, no fiddling as you search for an object.

My Canon’s are 18x50.

That's still a tiny exit pupil compared to a 7x50 though. To get the same exit pupil at 18 magnification, you'd need an 18x128, which would be huge.

We use a WWII surplus 16 power telescope.

Most use is looking to pick a number off a buoy , and a quick shot will usually be enough.

The very large light gathering ability helps at dusk .

In a harbor the 16 power is no problem , works well after dusk.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Navy-Spyglas...II-US-Field-Gear-Equipment/4721/bn_7022098046

Folks that may have guests aboard may find an old pair of yard sale binocs great to leave out for guests

Don’t forget to turn your hat sideways when using the telescope so you look really salty. :lol:

And stabilized binoculars are certainly better than 7x50s. Most of the people that argue against stabilized binoculars either have not used them or do not own them.
Couldn't agree more! (Especially the last sentence.):oldman:

Back in the old days 7x50 was the recommended binocular on the water. Today that's good when you're looking to just get a closer look at something large, but when you want to get a much closer look at a smaller object or if you want to see greater detail a higher power is necessary. With image stabilization the previously over-powered glasses that wobbled too much on a moving deck are no longer a problem. We had used the 7x50s for many years, but then bought a pair of Pentax 12x42 DCF, more for distant wildlife spotting on land than on the water, but they worked great on a boat as well. On a recent trip through the old Northwest Passage in the Canadian Arctic, I had the chance to borrow a pair of Nikon Action EX 12x50 waterproof binoculars. I could see fabulous detail on the polar bears, whales, musk ox and birds, some as far as 1000 yards off. As soon as we got home I bought a pair. The image stabilization is excellent and the resolution is the same. For less than $200 you can get a great pair of binocs for use on the water.

Back in the old days 7x50 was the recommended binocular on the water. Today that's good when you're looking to just get a closer look at something large, but when you want to get a much closer look at a smaller object or if you want to see greater detail a higher power is necessary. With image stabilization the previously over-powered glasses that wobbled too much on a moving deck are no longer a problem. We had used the 7x50s for many years, but then bought a pair of Pentax 12x42 DCF, more for distant wildlife spotting on land than on the water, but they worked great on a boat as well. On a recent trip through the old Northwest Passage in the Canadian Arctic, I had the chance to borrow a pair of Nikon Action EX 12x50 waterproof binoculars. I could see fabulous detail on the polar bears, whales, musk ox and birds, some as far as 1000 yards off. As soon as we got home I bought a pair. The image stabilization is excellent and the resolution is the same. For less than $200 you can get a great pair of binocs for use on the water.
So you bought two binoculars? That's what a "pair" of BInoculars means. Come on guys... its already BI, means two, like bicycle. You don't ride a pair of bicycles right? Sheesh.

We have Canon 18X50 IS All Weather Image Stabilized Binoculars. I originally bought them for casual astronomy. They are absolutely fantastic on the boat.

They're expensive though.

Binos

7x50 is a good choice for unstabilized binos. They will give you an exit pupil of 7mm the diameter of the typical eye pupil in total darkness. This will give you the maximum vision in low light. Going with stabilized binos allows you to increase the power significantly and so the image is larger and more stable. The trade-off is that the exit pupil or size of the shaft of light exiting is smaller and low light visibility is reduced. Exit pupil equals objective lens dia divided by power.

I use an older 7x50 high end Nikon set of binos which have provided excellent service and are not too heavy. They came with a lifetime warranty/service and I have sent them in a number of times for realignment at no cost after me or my wife dropped them. I doubt Nikon does this today.

The standard in the Navy is 7x50. I've used a pair of Leupold (the rifle scope folks) 7x35s for years and think highly of them in the daytime. For nighttime I have a 40 year old Nikon 7x50 - works great.

Stabilized bones are fine as well, but I'm going to keep these two handy as well.

If 7x50s worked ok in the slot between Guadalcanal and Tulagi, they're good enough for me.

Oxford online dictionary..

".Definition of pair noun from the Oxford Advanced American Dictionary
pair noun
/pɛr/

two things the same
two things of the same type, especially when they are used or worn together
a pair of gloves/shoes/earrings, etc.
a huge pair of eyes
The vase is one of a matching pair.
a pair of aces/kings (= two playing cards that have the same value)

two parts joined
an object consisting of two parts that are joined together
a pair of pants/jeans, etc.
a pair of glasses/binoculars/scissors, etc."

Common usage doesn't mean it isn't redundant. Plenty of things in use everyday that are incorrect. Example, "I could care less". That's just dumb, it should be I couldn't care less, obviously. Another more recent one is "on accident", instead of by accident. These things are pet peeves of mine. And Pair of binoculars is still redundant. Just like a pair of bicycles would be. Or a pair of anything that starts with BI.

Guess more than a few " could care less" that it is redundant. :D

By the time you reach 50 years old, your pupils will only dilate to about 3mm. If the exit pupil of the (pair of) binocular(s) is greater than 3, then you're wasting light gathered from the objective lens.

Exit pupil of binoculars = objective diameter / magnification

Fujinon Techno Stabi 14 x 40 has an exit pupil of 2.9mm. I'm 60, so I can get just as much light in my eyes from the 14 X 40 as the Fujinon Polaris 7 X 50's I used to own.

I'd recommend the Fujinon Polaris if you're looking for a high quality 7 x 50. They're popular with amateur astronomers, very well built and have a nice edge to edge image.

Back
Top Bottom