R.I.P. Gordon Lightfoot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Damn. We saw him in concert last April. You could tell it was a lot of work for him at that point, but he still sounded great.

The song in the first post always struck a chord with me.
I am from Michigan and was in school when it happened.

That year I was dating a girl that was from St Clair. Her mom owned a home that faced the river. The back of the house had a picture window facing the river.
I remember being on a school break a year or two later and seeing the SS Arther Anderson moving South on the St Clair and I kind of freaked out. Couldn't take my eyes off of the ship.

Action

My Canadian cousins were visiting when the announcement of his passing came. He was a beloved icon up there.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours? has to be one of my favorite lines in music.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours? has to be one of my favorite lines in music.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Especially when you have experienced it. Damn song and lyric still moves me. Great documentary is out there on him. Great watch and a great man.

The Mariner's Church in Detroit rang the bell an extra time for him. Up from 29 to 30. A very nice tribute, I think.

Ah, that is nice of them. I know he was Canadian, but that song and the story became an indelible piece of American -- well, maybe I should say North American culture and history. Can never go to Duluth or look at Lake Superior without thinking of that song, and the story.

Back
Top Bottom