Ray McCormack Sunseeker 54 delivery to Hawaii currently underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree - I use an autopilot a lot where precision steering is important.

The autopilot has nothing to do with accident.

Peter

Even when navigating a course to a destination I know by heart I always slave steering to a course line on Coastal Explorer that avoids all fixed hazards. Then, my job is to just to stand watch and adjust to non fixed hazards. With a lot of current in our area, the autopilot seeking to stay on course may steer 20 deg off the rhumb line, but my attention can be focused on what lies ahead, and noting that the boat is staying on the course line.

Based solely on a post on SA, I understand the boat was steering an insanely risky course while Capt. Disaster was below. Given his incompetence, it's hard to see why he still has a CG license, if he does. The fault for the loss appears to be solely on his shoulders.

I read some of the post on the other forum for the entertainment, I believe I read he was doing this delivery for free. Not sure if its true or not.
this is true, I was crew, but was the most experienced on the boat and holding a USCG credential .... if I could turn back time I would have not done this trip on this boat, I should have listened to my gut and told her the boat is not sea worthy ......

this is true, I was crew, but was the most experienced on the boat and holding a USCG credential .... if I could turn back time I would have not done this trip on this boat, I should have listened to my gut and told her the boat is not sea worthy ......

:rolleyes:

I hesitate to flog a dead horse, and that would have been a good decision on your part, but blaming the boat belies the fact that the boat sank because you ran into the shore due to a lengthy chain of unforced errors. That chain could have been broken at any link. Nothing about the condition of the boat caused it to sink.

:rolleyes:

I hesitate to flog a dead horse, and that would have been a good decision on your part, but blaming the boat belies the fact that the boat sank because you ran into the shore due to a lengthy chain of unforced errors. That chain could have been broken at any link. Nothing about the condition of the boat caused it to sink.
The whole reason I was close to shore is because every thing was failing, this was a decision I made trying save the rigging and sails ... the was an offshore breeze that night and we had up to 30 knots of wind. I based this decision on my experience ......

Ray, please....

1724126331811.png

Have you resurrected the sailing anarchy thread too? That’s the one you want deleted. We’re a lot more polite than they are.

Have you resurrected the sailing anarchy thread too? That’s the one you want deleted. We’re a lot more polite than they are.
They banned me, I requested that the threads be deleted but they ignore me. At least I was able to have the search results in google deleted on my name.

In my experience, TF closes threads but rarely if ever deletes threads. What is posted is there for posterity, waving gently in the breeze.

Yes, IMHO, it's better to not delete threads. I run a large forum of my own, and we almost never do. It is what happened, after all.

The whole reason I was close to shore is because every thing was failing, this was a decision I made trying save the rigging and sails ... the was an offshore breeze that night and we had up to 30 knots of wind. I based this decision on my experience ......

I was in the anchorage that night. There was no wind to speak of so I call BS on your claim of 30-knots. I don't doubt the decision to cut the corner was based on your experience of cutting dangerous corners in the past and not paying a price. You have confused luck with skill.

Ray, you made a really bad decision which cost someone their boat. Any remorse you've shown is for your own reputation, not the damage you've caused others.

Peter
USCG 100T Master (Ret.)

A few items. First, you listed this passage in your online resume, presumably for USCG sea time. Your position was listed as "Captain," not crew.

Second, this boat sank because it was intentionally navigated through shallow water in a rock strewn area. It was not lost due to rigging failure or any other boat related failure.

Third. The boat was old but had been recently surveyed to be in satisfactory condition. I do not doubt there were system failures along the way and take you at your word the autopilot was glitchy. Driving a boat with issues into rocky/shallow waters is a really bad way of dealing with them.

Finally, you are far behind owner and crew wishing they could undo the decision to have you aboard Boat Bum Gal.

Peter

Last edited:
After consultation with other moderators, it has been decided to re-open this thread to further discussion. This was a close call, so for those who wish to see it remain open, I consul you to please keep your comments on-topic, etc.

Trawler Forum Site Team

They banned me, I requested that the threads be deleted but they ignore me. At least I was able to have the search results in google deleted on my name.

IMO it's a bad call to do as you did (have Google delete the search results). Any potential client will not be privy to your complete experience history if you sanitize it- and total disclosure is key.

This opens a larger question/observation of using social media to document each and every skippering event, and being vocal and quick to lay blame on others when the defecation hits the rotary oscillator...supported by legions of unwitting fans. Why rely on the wisdom of the crowd, when too often the crowd is clueless?

I am not a hater, Ray- far from it. But narcissism must give way to humility for your success to happen. I live this every day in what I do in marine insurance- I have built a solid reputation amongst TF and other sites as a "go-to" insurance guy, as well as offline- and I am continually humbled by the trust so many have given me. I make mistakes, and own up to them (and never attempt to have them erased). It keeps me in a mindset of service.

Be like SDCaptains- quietly competent.

Back
Top Bottom