Raytheon radar repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MVCalypso

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Calypso
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 36 Europa 1984
Hi all,
I think I'm looking for a unicorn - an outfit or tech that still does actual, component level, electronics diagnosis and repair of marine electronics...

My radar has developed a head display problem (a late '80s vintage Raytheon R20 radar). I realize Raytheon no longer has board level components available.

OK, perhaps, I'm just getting old and feeling crotchety today, but I'd rather not (yet?) hear "just buy a new radar". Replacement might be where this ends up, but before that point I want to try to fix the unit I have. There are multiple reasons (that make sense to me at least) for this desire. Perhaps I'm a dinosaur, my folks grew up during the depression and I learned the "fix it" attitude.

I know that new radars have lost of fun bells & whistles, but the R20 does everything I need for running around SF bay and the Calif Delta. A cursory glance says new Radars appear to be in the $4k range + all the install hassles (and/or labor costs for that). Ouch.

I started messing with electronics in high school (no need to ask when that was - I'll just say that tubes were common then). I fixed many a tube TV set in those days.
Re the radar - I suspect the problem is a failed electrolytic cap in the CRT vertical drive circuity. See pic.

Parts wise, I suspect this repair is < $10 (I'd have said $1.00, but I suspect caps are more these days). I'll happily pay for a tech unicorn's expertise.

The kicker is that one really needs schematics to work from.... Reverse engineering the circuity is not a reasonable prerequisite for me.
Finding an old-timer experienced tech that knows the units would be a huge win.
So....
Anyone have a lead on schematics or a service manual for a Raytheon R20?
Does anyone know an outfit that still does real electronics bench repair?
Any location in the US is prob OK by me, shipping is no big deal.

Attachments

• folded r20 display.jpg
    folded r20 display.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 20
Ok - I'll answer with what you don't want to hear, we use Radar on our boats as a navigational tool when we have low or no visibility and if it has the ability- to set range markers and alarms to alert us when something is reflected within the range rings. I had a similar radar on a CHB 34 trawler when I was younger, I sold the boat and bought a newer boat with a better, newer Radar, it was night and day as far as accuracy, detail and ease of use. I now have a Carver 530 Voyager pilothouse with a new Simrad Radar/ chart plotter. it is touchscreen display, has a second display at the PH control. the level of detail and the ease of use with touchscreen is amazing. I too am one to tinker and make old things work again, but I would not go back to the antiquated technology of potentially lifesaving equipment.
Have you tried looking on Ebay for a newer Radar system? I I bought a Raymarine Radar GPS Chart plotter with a 12" Multifunction Display on Ebay with radome, GPS antenna and all of the wiring for about $1500.00, worked perfectly and was easy to install.
Good luck!

Hi, I see you are a fellow Bay Area boater. If you are still interested, I have an old but working R20 head unit that I replaced a few years ago... you're welcome to it. I also have the manual which contains a fold out schematic which you can also have. I am berthed on E-dock at Schoonmaker Point Marina in Sausalito if you'd like to drop by sometime.

Hi, I see you are a fellow Bay Area boater. If you are still interested, I have an old but working R20 head unit that I replaced a few years ago... you're welcome to it. I also have the manual which contains a fold out schematic which you can also have. I am berthed on E-dock at Schoonmaker Point Marina in Sausalito if you'd like to drop by sometime.
Hi,
That's a very generous offer! I'd love to take you up on it. I'll shoot you a PM (or whatever they are called now with the new forum - "conversation"? with contact info. ;-)
Many thanks in advance!

Ok - I'll answer with what you don't want to hear, we use Radar on our boats as a navigational tool when we have low or no visibility and if it has the ability- to set range markers and alarms to alert us when something is reflected within the range rings. I had a similar radar on a CHB 34 trawler when I was younger, I sold the boat and bought a newer boat with a better, newer Radar, it was night and day as far as accuracy, detail and ease of use. I now have a Carver 530 Voyager pilothouse with a new Simrad Radar/ chart plotter. it is touchscreen display, has a second display at the PH control. the level of detail and the ease of use with touchscreen is amazing. I too am one to tinker and make old things work again, but I would not go back to the antiquated technology of potentially lifesaving equipment.
Have you tried looking on Ebay for a newer Radar system? I I bought a Raymarine Radar GPS Chart plotter with a 12" Multifunction Display on Ebay with radome, GPS antenna and all of the wiring for about $1500.00, worked perfectly and was easy to install.
Good luck!
He he, I knew someone would give the new radar pitch ;-)
No problem, I actually really like new toys, but in this case the limiting factors are not only the $ involved, but there are physical space limitations (all the newer radars have gone to landscape panels and they won't fit where the current set is). I fear that might temp me to succumb to "well, as long as I'm doing the radar...". Next thing I know, I'd have a major electronics refit project on my hands. As I'm already knee deep in several other projects (boat & homes), I feel I need to not start another one right now.
I do appreciate the thought though...

Dumb question, but have you opened the case? I'm sure there are horizontal , vertical, brightness & focus pots on the video board, just like any CRT display would have.

Dumb question, but have you opened the case? I'm sure there are horizontal , vertical, brightness & focus pots on the video board, just like any CRT display would have.
I did open it & looked to see if there were any obvious burnt components - nothing visually obvious. I found an article online by a fellow in Fla that repairs older marine electronics. I emailed him, but learned yesterday that he's closed his business :-( Thus my inquiry re other repair leads.

For now, I've held off on any live troubleshooting with the case open as I'd need to rig up a 12v supply on a work bench etc. & I'll have to find things like my high voltage probes if I go that route.

Sent you a Conversation / PM

Hi, I sent you a pm/conversation early in the week with my contact info. I've not done that since the forum changes & I'm not sure if you got it or not - so I thought I'd drop a note here as a backup.

Back
Top Bottom