Views from the helm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
19th of July, entering Venice Italy and 20th of July anchored almost in front of San Marco square on the right. Visiting for Festa della Redentore, the yearly fireworks show celebrating the end of the black plague in July 1577.
This was our first year by boat (seen it many times standing on the shore), we have decided to make this an annual item on our calendar, so next year we will be back for more.

Attachments

• Venice Italy.jpg
    Venice Italy.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20 July 2024 daytime festa della redentore.jpg
    20 July 2024 daytime festa della redentore.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 27
Congrats! I see we have something to look forward to. We are booked into Marina Santelena for 6 nights in early September. How strict are they about grey-water discharge in the "lagoon"? I have read that it is not permitted, which is not surprising...but then, this is Italy, where there are rules aplenty...and then reality ;-)
19th of July, entering Venice Italy and 20th of July anchored almost in front of San Marco square on the right. Visiting for Festa della Redentore, the yearly fireworks show celebrating the end of the black plague in July 1577.
This was our first year by boat (seen it many times standing on the shore), we have decided to make this an annual item on our calendar, so next year we will be back for more.

Congrats! I see we have something to look forward to. We are booked into Marina Santelena for 6 nights in early September. How strict are they about grey-water discharge in the "lagoon"? I have read that it is not permitted, which is not surprising...but then, this is Italy, where there are rules aplenty...and then reality ;-)
Officially you are not allowed to dump anything in the lagoon and I understand why, so we avoided that. Marina Santa Elena has showers, toilets etc, all in perfect working condition, hot water, cold water, so no need to use anything on the boat.
Inside the marina the water is calm, outside it is pretty rough due to all the boats racing around.

Best part is that, if you have a dinghy with an engine of less than, I think, 5 Hp, you don't need a special license for the dinghy, you can just go in. However, Grand Canal is always off limits for your boat and dinghy. But going through the canals with your dinghy is something special. I can advise to read up on the rules in Venice, they are slightly different in the canals.

One thing you will notice is that the rules on the water don't apply, everybody goes everywhere. Port to port ? Forget it. Everyone will just do their own thing, but the nice part is.............it works. The first moment you are overwhelmed with boats overtaking you left and right, crossing your path in front, behind and apparently no respect for the existing rules. However, then you realize that everyone simply avoids everyone, so nothing happens, nobody shouts or screams, they will find their way through all the boats, slow down, speed up when necessary, it is a bit like Naples, but then on the water. Once you get the hang of it you will love it.

Keep in mind there is a strong current in the lagoon. When the tides change you can have 4 to 5 knots current and that is interesting.
Also, on the electronic charts (navionics etc) the depths are not really correct. According to navionics the depth near Burano should be about 5 meters, we had less than 1 meter under the keel in certain places and you just don't know where the water is. You are searching for depth under the keel when it is low tide, so be careful.
If you still have time, try to order a paper chart for Venice, hopefully they have better depth information.

From Santa Elena you can have a nice walk into Venice, but you can also order a taxi, but they are expensive.

Other islands to visit are of course Murano, but parking your boat anywhere will be difficult. Near Burano en Torcella there is a canal where the depths are OK, but you don't have a lot of room to swing when the winds change. With the tide going in and out plus a strong wind you can have a lot of force on that anchor, so make sure you are anchored well.
Negative part of anchoring near Burano is that there are millions of mosquitos, so when you open the boat in the morning, you will have a welcoming committee. We did not have mosquitos in the marina though.

Being in Venice with your own boat is an experience not a lot of people will have. To be out on the water and have ancient Venice in the background is very special (at least to us).
As a tip, go see the popular tourist sites, but also go into the non touristic sites. Sit down at a local bar with the locals and have an Aperol spritzer, a glass of prosecco or a glass of wine/beer and simply enjoy the tranquility of a different Venice.
If you go to Torcello and you go with your own boat, go there after the tourists have gone. You will have the island almost to yourself. The first bar has a large garden, they serve wine from the tap and after all the tourists are gone the few locals gather there. I can recommend going there for a drink, prices are friendly.

Approaching Split, Croatia this afternoon after a full day of cruising on electric. Cruise ship is the Queen Victoria.
1722432740748.png

Approaching Split, Croatia this afternoon after a full day of cruising on electric. Cruise ship is the Queen Victoria.
View attachment 156958
If you happen to pass by the area of Istria in the next two weeks let us know. We are currently in the area of Porec, will remain in this area (Istria, Losinj, Cres, Dugi Otok) for about 2 weeks.

View attachment 156958

Oh wow, a full day on electric? Tell me about the Greenline 33, have looked at those in the past as a promising boat. What year? Any issues?

Will stop in Split after this 4 Country Adventure - Autobahn Adventures and Monza for F1, then on to Silver Ray where Split will be one of our stops. I can only image how cool it must be on your own boat.

Oh wow, a full day on electric? Tell me about the Greenline 33, have looked at those in the past as a promising boat. What year? Any issues?

Looks like you will be on a very fine cruise!!
As to the Greenline 33. Ours is a 2010, which is the first year it was produced. We continue to enjoy it immensely. BUT...going hybrid was a HUGE learning curve for us. You can have a look at the Greenline section of TF to read a lot more about it.

Looks like you will be on a very fine cruise!!
As to the Greenline 33. Ours is a 2010, which is the first year it was produced. We continue to enjoy it immensely. BUT...going hybrid was a HUGE learning curve for us. You can have a look at the Greenline section of TF to read a lot more about it.
Thank you will do,

Venice!
V1.jpg

A portion of the "Moses" system at the Lido entrance to the Venice lagoon. "Moses" is raised to the left and the right of the structures in the picture to protect the city from extreme high water. When Moses is in the raised position, there are locks to provide passage around it.

More Venice...
One of the "end stations" of Moses

V2.jpg

Venice. Not apparent in my pictures, but cruising in Venice brings to mind the title of that movie... "Everything, Everywhere, all at Once"! (At Italian speeds. Speed limits? What are those???!)
V4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom