Recommend haul out marina Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twisle

Vessel Name
Blackfin
Vessel Make
Mainship 350
We’re currently cruising south from Canada for the first time. I’m looking for advice on a good marina to haul out and store my 39ft trawler for 7 months May thru November. I would prefer the Stuart Florida area but anywhere south of St Augustine may work. It will have to be hurricane ‘worthy’.

I’m not familiar with the Stuart area but Brunswick Georgia and Green Cove Springs Florida are a day north of St. Augustine. Both have good dry storage and a plus is insurance companies have been receptive to the locations during the summer.

West of Stuart, on the beginnings of the Okeechobee Canal is a haul out/storage facility. Closer to Ft. Myers on the other side of the lake is another, cheaper one. Can't remember their names but Active Captain will tell you.

David

Tiger Point in Fernandina is good long term storage, or Westland Marine in Titusville

Hinckley's in Stuart was very good when I hauled the sailboat there in 2014. Very attentive and one of the few yards on the east coast I didn't feel ripped off by the end. They have serious hurricane tie downs in their dry storage area.

Another option around the Stuart area is Cracker Boy Boat Works in Ft. Pierce, priced about the same as Indiantown but without the cruise time to travel inland. It is very conveniently located on the intracoastal. Harbortown Marina is also located just accross the canal from Cracker Boys. Both have nice facilities but not particularly large storage yards so call ahead for reservations.

Another option around the Stuart area is Cracker Boy Boat Works in Ft. Pierce, priced about the same as Indiantown but without the cruise time to travel inland. It is very conveniently located on the intracoastal. Harbortown Marina is also located just accross the canal from Cracker Boys. Both have nice facilities but not particularly large storage yards so call ahead for reservations.

I used Cracker Boys a few years ago and found them easy to work with. I found some pretty good contractors in that area also who did decent quality work.

Not sure that Cracker Boy in Ft Pierce would be considered a safe haven for hurricane strikes. Though one just came ashore near there so it might be good for another 7 years or whatever NOAA says is the average strike interval.

Oh wait I didn’t see it was for haul out for hurricane. I thought it was for repairs. Agree CB would not be good for hurricanes.

Oh wait I didn’t see it was for haul out for hurricane. I thought it was for repairs. Agree CB would not be good for hurricanes.

Summer storage in Mid Florida and has to be "hurricane worthy"....per OP. :)

I second Glades or Indiantown. Last place you want to be is anywhere near the coast during a hurricane. Never seen a hurricane intensify after it comes ashore. Been through several now.

A little north but Tiger Island Marina in Fernidina has a good haul out reputation. They use a boat stand as well as blocking. I never used but heard from another boater it’s a great system

A little north but Tiger Island Marina in Fernidina has a good haul out reputation. They use a boat stand as well as blocking. I never used but heard from another boater it’s a great system

Blocks under the keel and stands under the chines?

Blocks under the keel and stands under the chines?

I had to go look up the right term. They call them cradles.
IMG_0794.jpg

Looks like the one has a custom cradle but the boat on the right is standard keel blocks and stands.

A look at Google maps Street view shows some in cradles but many just the normal on blocks and random stands.

Last edited:
Looks like the one has a custom cradle but the boat on the right is standard keel blocks and stands.

A look at Google maps Street view shows some in cradles but many just the normal on blocks and random stands.

Looks like it is an optional item to rent.

Looks like it is an optional item to rent.

Not sure of a cradle's advantage other than shipping the vessel. But if you want to rent one, $125 a month seems reasonable.

Pretty rare in my experience for general use at marinas....but have both advantages and disadvantages.

They are a real PIA when working under the boat for most things, convenient for other jobs.

Back
Top Bottom