Remote Temperature Monitoring during Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
49' Kha Shing Europa
Hey All,
I'm looking for a remote temperature monitoring system that I can use while I'm away from the boat over the winter to obviously see if the heaters inside the boat are adequate and things aren't dropping below freezing. I do intend to winterize the boat while its in Portland, OR, but would like to have remote monitoring as I live outside the state. I should be able to connect to the marina's wifi.
Any suggestions good or bad on products you've used?
Thank you for any suggestions!
Taras

I have the Govee cameras on the boat, which are wireless and Bluetooth enabled. I have been very happy with the quality/picture and I am now ordering the temperature/humidity sensor for inside the boat. I ordered on Amazon and you can get multiple sensors if you want. One of the features I like the most is the battery status. When you pull the app up, it shows you the status (in bars) of the battery in each device. The cameras claim a two year battery life (depending on use). I have only had the cameras about three months, so I can't verify. The temp sensor is rated for one year, which like you, I only need for the winter.

As a side note, I will get a second sensor for the engine room to monitor for high temperatures.

I use the hardwired sensors into my Cerbo, and three Ruuvi tags for wireless readings (dock freezer, inside boat freezer etc). The Ruuvis are communicating into my Cerbo but can also be connected to a Ruuvi Hub which can then connect to the internet. The small photo is a widget on my iPad. The other is a screenshot from VRM showing the kind of historical info you can also get. I have a number of heaters on wi-fi outlets that I can then turn on and off remotely as required.

Attachments

• IMG_7624.jpeg
    IMG_7624.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7625.jpeg
    IMG_7625.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1
I have a smartthings hub.

Sensors attach wirelessly, and the sensor batteries last over a year.

I have motion sensors that also have temperature, water sensors, even dry contact for things that need that type of signal.

I Installed an Ambient Weather station on the bridge with temperature / humidity sensors throughout the boat. (All wireless and connected though the marina WiFi. I also have wireless switches for turning on and off dehumidifiers and heaters as needed.

Ambient Weather Station

I am not a fan of leaving a boat unattended with space heaters running. What type of heater do you have? Does the marina allow portable heaters? If you winterize the boat then it should be just fine. I used to winterize my boats here in Michigan. Once done properly I never checked the boat. What exactly is your concern?

I am not a fan of leaving a boat unattended with space heaters running. What type of heater do you have? Does the marina allow portable heaters? If you winterize the boat then it should be just fine. I used to winterize my boats here in Michigan. Once done properly I never checked the boat. What exactly is your concern?

Agreed. I wouldn't leave a boat in the water unattended for long periods of time. I definitely wouldn't leave heaters running.

Is the boat in the water or on land? I haul and winterize my boat and I live a little over 1200 miles away from the boat. It is safer and you'll rest easier.

The answer to he OP's question really depends on whether marina wifi is available, or if you have to do a cell connection. We do have marina wifi (in the slip and the storage yard) so I very easily installed a couple cameras what are surprisingly low-cost and crystal clear and (so far) very reliable, and great night vision. There's no power to the boat in the storage yard so this is one of the cameras:

And then the other is solar powered mounted on the radar arch, pan and tilt so I can look around:

But the OP asked about temperature. I do that too -- just for kicks since our boat is in a storage yard in South Dakota so it drops to well below zero, also battery powered, but that's a different app. Temperature and humidity: https://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-Heating-Temperature-Humidity/dp/B0BQH2SL9Q/ Feit also makes a wifi water alarm, really designed for residential basement leaks, but can also be used as an alarm if my bilge pumps fail. Remote monitoring has gotten very cheap and easy lately (with wifi anyway).

I can't speak for the OP, but his temperatures are similar to mine. We can boat year round here, so I don't know to many people who winterize their boat unless they take it out of the water. I will be out of the country this year for a few months during winter. I installed cameras and will have temp sensors for this purpose. There is typically only a few weeks of freezing I am worried about. If OP is like me, he will have neighbors/family standing by. The biggest threat for me is the power circuit. I've had neighbors turn off my power by accident and circuit breakers trip for unknown reasons. The temp sensors and Bluetooth activated light should give me a heads up to have my neighbor turn a switch/breaker on. Water pump, and water heater will be turned off along with all through hulls. Residential heat pump will be left on and hydronic heater will be set to a low temp as back-up.

I have the T-Mobile hot spot box for wifi

Back
Top Bottom