Removing a window pane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grahamdouglass

Vessel Name
Summer Wind 1
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 41
My Norcold 3255-7 fridge, which is original to the boat, but was converted to a Danfoss compressor and electronic controller broke down and may be replaced. The conversion is 28 years old and the fridge is over 40 years old. The problem is getting the new fridge into the boat. I may have to bring the new fridge in through the window. One part of the window slides but the other part is sandwiched in between the outside trim and a metal track and wood.

Has anyone removed a window while leaving the out side trim intact? I was thinking a universal solvent (acetone?) and heat to wiggle the window free, without damaging the glass or outside trim.

Can you post some photos, including a closeup, of the window in question?

Since there is no standard to how windows are made, it is impossible to answer the question with out at least pictures.

Most glass can be removed without removing the frame but, not all windows are this way. Some frames require disassembly to remove the glass.

I also find glass from frame removal to be 60/40 on odds of cracking the glass.

The window frame was previously broken and broke on removal. Sorry for the lack of pictures but it has to be redone as a winter project with a new window track. The window is back in place, new fridge is in and I’m going cruising tomorrow.
In summary the teak window frame has slots cut in the wood to fit the fixed pane and a felt and steel track for the sliding part of the window. There was tons of bondo and 3m 4000, or someting similar holding everything together. The window frame was stripped, cleaned up and the bottom part of the frame screwed to the opening. The glass put in place and the rest of the frame built around the glass. No sealant used and a light coating of tung oil. Final assembly this winter while under cover.

Glad you got 'er dun. Sounds a lot like the way I replaced broken panes and refrigerators on my Grand Banks. Guess you are the current expert. :)

Back
Top Bottom