Replace Starter on John Deere engine on GB 42 (1977)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB-Ceres

Hi all, new to the group and owner of a GB 42 for the last two years. Starter died and I’m looking to swap it with a used one from a salvaged engine. Currently struggling to unscrew last nut behind the starter to remove it. Anyone has had experience with it and what tool would they recommend to access. I’ve attached a photo for reference. Any help or ideas would be welcomed. Thank you

Attachments

• 722D8EAD-9DBF-4302-BC65-C126975B04A0.jpeg
    722D8EAD-9DBF-4302-BC65-C126975B04A0.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 24
The tool number is JDE-80. It's an angled wrench. I have it in my toolbox, but I can usually get to the bolt without the wrench with a small ratchet. You may want to disassemble the starter by removing the two long bolt from the endcap and pull the housing off. It might give you more access.

BTW, are you sure it's not just a solenoid? Also, if this is the standard-rotation engine the starter for many John Deere tractors is fine. Lastly, opposite-rotation starters are not difficult to rebuild.

The tool number is JDE-80. It's an angled wrench. I have it in my toolbox, but I can usually get to the bolt without the wrench with a small ratchet. You may want to disassemble the starter by removing the two long bolt from the endcap and pull the housing off. It might give you more access.
Thank you. This is very helpful in locating the tool. And I appreciate the idea of trying to dislodge from the end cap. I’m having a hard time visualizing this since it’s one of the two long bolts that I’m trying to unscrew. Any concerns with damaging the end cap dislodging only one bolt?

BTW, are you sure it's not just a solenoid? Also, if this is the standard-rotation engine the starter for many John Deere tractors is fine. Lastly, opposite-rotation starters are not difficult to rebuild.
At this point, I’m committed to changing the whole starter ! Hank you!

I removed one of my starters recently. It was actually a quite easy job (except for the 53lb weight). The tool is absolutely essential. (although as said by others it can be done with the right socket). With the tool there is no need to disassemble the starter. Get someone young and strong to help you lift it out!
Here are details of the tool in case you cannot buy one.
Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_4896.JPG
    IMG_4896.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4897.JPG
    IMG_4897.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4898.JPG
    IMG_4898.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4899.JPG
    IMG_4899.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4900.JPG
    IMG_4900.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 7
  • JDE80 tool sketch.jpeg
    JDE80 tool sketch.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Try taking off the solenoid. That may be enough to get you access with a ratchet. When you reinstall, If your starter is like mine, I changed the angle of the mounting plate to the housing to keep the solenoid farther away from the block. It makes installation easier.

Attachments

• 1M153_Maintenance.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom