Replacing my inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
I replaced my inverter today with a xantrex 458. For some reason I could not get the unit to invert. After much head scratching etc found out both of my house batteries were completely dead. I am not sure for how long they were dead, I assumed they were working as my 12v system was working(lights, water pump) etc. Question, for those with inverters does your 12v needs run off inverter/house batteries?

You almost certainly have two independent battery banks. One was hooked up to your inverter, but was dead. The other was charged up and powering your lights.

I can speculate how one system was charged and working and the other system was dead but I would suggest rather than speculating you need a marine electrician to go over your electrical system and explain how it works.

David

My buddy who is a licensed electrician helped me with the install. I guess I could benefit from having a marine electrician but that’s not in the budget.

A licensed electrician that does residential or commercial work knows the principles and can easily follow the electrical path and ultimately figure out what went wrong. A marine electrician knows it intuitively because he has seen it before and can quickly zero in on the problem.

Either could get to the bottom of the problem.

The problem with trying to figure this out on the net is that we can't see how the system is configured. You have to be there and see it to understand it.

BTW, how much did that new inverter cost you?

David

We only discovered the battery issue at the end of working on it. Next weekend we will be at it again. I bought the unit used paid $300.

Marine electricians get $100-150 per hour and at most it should take two hours to sort out your electrical system.

But I would lean on your buddy to help you figure it out.

David

Back
Top Bottom