Sailing Back Home 3600 Mile With One Arm!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just googled "when is hurricane season" and the response for the Atlantic is 1 June till the end of November. I wouldn't be going now. I think he has missed his window.

I just googled "when is hurricane season" and the response for the Atlantic is 1 June till the end of November. I wouldn't be going now. I think he has missed his window.

I believe his route will be well north of the hurricane path if he heads for the Azores.

He better get moving soon before the season really starts. Here’s the paths of just category 4s and 5s. Going East towards Africa and Spain is going to weather or in the doldrums

Attachments

• 0150AC3F-E411-41E3-BB22-C5C8B731B242.jpeg
    0150AC3F-E411-41E3-BB22-C5C8B731B242.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 61
An update:

DERRY YACHTSMAN ALMOST HOME AFTER SAILING FROM CARIBBEAN: a Derry yachtsman is about to complete a one-month, 3,500 mile epic solo voyage from the Caribbean to his home on the Foyle, having been stranded on the Dutch island of Sint Maarten due to the coronavirus crisis.
Culmore man Garry Crothers is a member of Lough Swilly Yacht Club and Foyle Sailability, and is expected to be sailing up the Foyle on Friday evening or Saturday morning. Garry's epic solo voyage is all the more amazing as he lost an arm following a serious motorcycle accident in 2007.
Garry also has a special incentive for getting home safe, as his presence will be required to walk his daughter Una down the aisle when she gets married in September.
Garry’s original plan was that his other daughter Amy and regular shipmate Ken Curry would fly out to Sint Maarten to help him sail home, but when all flights were cancelled due to the virus, they couldn’t make the trip.
It began to look like Garry was marooned.
This left him with a stark choice: sail home on his own, or shut down in isolation on the island for the duration of lockdown.
Garry decided to strike out for home on his own – he set sail from Sint Maarten on 1 June and his yacht Ovni 435 Kind of Blue is now off the coast of Ireland as he plans his approach to Derry passing Tory Island and Malin Head.
En route, Garry has been in constant radio contact with Ken Curry and technical experts from Lough Swilly YC for advice on battling breakdowns in the yacht’s heating system and other technical problems.
Thankfully the trip has been relatively trouble-free and Garry is expected to sail up the Foyle, accompanied by a flotilla of his local fellow yachtsmen, on Friday evening or Saturday morning. www.newswireni.com

Just received this photo.

He was interviewed on a local radio station via sat radio when half way back and was asked "what are you looking forward to when you get home?"

His answer "a Bridie's fish supper!"

Bridie's is my family's business back home with about 12 stores (named after my mother).

So when he tied up at the marina today there was one of the Bridie's staff delivering his fish supper!

How neat is that!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1593988751996.jpg
    FB_IMG_1593988751996.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 20
Menzies, until I caught up to this thread, I had no idea that you were posting with an Irish accent!

Menzies, until I caught up to this thread, I had no idea that you were posting with an Irish accent!

Well just remember that it is also with an Irish humo(u)r - and often there are ejits on here who don't get that! :D

Well, Congratulations to your Countryman, Mr. Crothers, on his epic voyage. And if we can ever get back to Ireland, we will look forward to the Fish Supper at Birdie's!!

Back
Top Bottom