San Andres and Isla de Providencia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Golden Days
Vessel Make
1991 Choey Lee 66
Good Afternoon, we are looking at transiting the Panama canal at the end of the month onward to Grand Cayman. We were interested in a possible stop at either of the captioned Colombian islands. We are hearing varying reports with regard to safety issues. Would appreciate if anyone has recent insights/experience.

I stopped in San Andrés in 1999, so my experience is not current, lovely.

The reason I post is that were to return from the canal I will consider very seriously that option to avoid the concurrent thread on safety regarding the Honduras Guatemala area.

Just a thought.

Seramilla Bank is about 200 nms east of Gracias a Dios, the northern tip of Nicuragua where it borders Honduras. According to CSSN reports, there has been a pattern of piracy and suspicious activity off this point within 100 nms, though recent reports as of yesterday and exactly one year before (Apr 20 2023) has noted some recent events at around 140 nms out.

OP does not mention their boat so I can only speak towards my little Willard 36 that has a cruise speed of 6.5 kts. If I were in a larger boat, my approach would differ.

I'm planning to transit the area next April/May, the best time to head up the Caribbean. If I were leaving now, I'd probably head from Providencia to Seramilla Bank, a 175 nm run to the NE (200 nms east of Gracias a Dios). There is a lousy anchorage there and a small Colombian Navy station. From there, it's 225 nms to Cayman Islands though I would not plan to wait out weather at Seramilla Bank as there is very limited protection.

A couple tips for the OP if you are not already familiar -

Consider joining the Panama Posse. It's a mixed bag, but there are some serious cruisers in the bunch who are actively cruising all sorts of destinations, including the route you're considering.

Second, take a look at NoForeignLand App for iPhone or Android. It's the modern version of Active Captain. Updates are more recent, and boats can be tracked.

OP also doesn't say where they're headed. Distance from Panama Canal to Ft Lauderdale/Miami area via the eastern route (Jamaica, then Bahamas) is about the same as coming up the Yucatan Channel to the west of Cuba. I suspect a lot of folks chose the western route because they think they'll get a big bump from the Gulf Stream - that's not always the case, at least not the extent you'd think due to undulations of the Stream.

Good luck - please update with trip details if you go. I'm very conflicted on this part of our cruise.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom