Sea Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trawlercap

Vessel Name
JoAhna K
Vessel Make
58' Bill Garden Trawler 1952
58' William Garden built 1952, 61 ton built 1952.
I retired from 34 years in the Bering Sea and looked for a converted salmon troller. This boat (never a fish boat) grabbed me as the "yacht with a workboat soul."
For rough weather, I look for High bow, wheelhouse set back, fully curved house front, 24" walkways, high bronze hand rails. All major weight centered, Lugger Engines, 3,200 gal. fuel, 800 water, aux. engine, all in middle to minimize hobby horsing.
Note on Bill Garden: Sam Devlin (Devlin Designing Boat Builders) just retired and is in Alaska on his Bill Garden. Bob Perry told me Bill is his all time favorite designer "My dream boat," George Buehler (Diesel Duck designer) refers to Garden as his major influence, through all his writings"
So..why post this? It's a good example of a boat that hold many clues to what makes a boat work in all conditions. It's not a boat for the recreational yachty.
Paint, bronze and oiled wood. No varnish, stainless or waxing. I see things and go "oh wow, look how they did that"
Designed and built to cross oceans, it no fuss, almost no wake, I'm often amazed how well designed and built she is.
IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_2032.JPG
Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 11.02.33 AM.png
IMG_0196.jpeg
DSC_5769.JPG
IMG_0803.JPGIMG_2032.JPGScreen Shot 2023-11-08 at 11.02.33 AM.pngIMG_0196.jpegDSC_5769.JPG

Back
Top Bottom