Seastar Steering leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
I have developed a leak in my hydraulic steering. We are currently in Atlantic Highlands Marina in NJ heading for Florida. It is an old seastar unit model ba 125x7-bj they no longer make it so I either have to get it rebuilt or find a suitable replacement.

ba 125x7-bj .

ba: balanced
125: 1.25" diameter cylinder
x 7: 7" travel

Any good hydraulic shop can rebuild those cylinders. If real old the aluminum may fail as they take it apart, the environment they live in is pretty corrosive.
Sea Star can recommend a replacement that should be plug and play, might be your best course of action.
You could always line up a replacement, give it to a shop to rebuild, and if it fails pull the trigger on a new unit. What's leaking is nothing more than O rings. Cost will be in the labor.

I have no direct experience with them, but Boat Steer.com has an good reputation here TF, I have seen them recommended many times. they are in Venice FL on the Gulf Coast and an authorized sea Star Service Center

https://boatsteer.com/

:socool:

I spoke to a local guy here he said he could rebuild it but needed a repair kit for it.? Not sure they make it.?

I had boatsteer.com rebuild a cylinder of mine. I sent it to them UPS. They turned it around in under 2 days and shipped it back.

I wonder if this is the replacement for the one I have?

Attachments

• IMG_1366.jpg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 37
Boatsteer usually rebuilds them for half the cost of a new unit and gives the same warranty as new.

I will call them they open on Monday. My issue is I m currently in route with the boat and working out the logistics of it all.

I have a slave cylinder out of my boat I'd sell cheap. Was not leaking when removed. BUT - I am in Baltimore area. If so reply.

It's a Teleflex/Sitten. But if the bore and travel match, trust me when I say the helm will NOT care. Was on 30 ft Taiwan Khoudung

It makes a difference with outboards. We had a SeaStar steering system on a boat with a Merc and the cylinder was for Yamaha. It actually damaged the cylinder. So make sure you get the correct size.

I had boatsteer.com rebuild a cylinder of mine. I sent it to them UPS. They turned it around in under 2 days and shipped it back.

I sent two steering helms to them to be rebuilt. One came back taking nine turns lock to lock instead of six. I had to pay to get it installed, pay to get it uninstalled and pay to get it reinstalled after it came back fixed.

All in all, it would have been cheaper and quicker to replace them with new units (after shopping for the lowest price).

i'd start by calling seastar and asking what the compatible models are. i've done this job twice( 2 cyl each time). it's not a hard job to replace (if you can get at them). bleeding can be a pain depending on how many cyl, autopilot, multiple helms.

Did this couple years ago. Buy a new seal kit from Seastar. Need a gear puller to remove steering wheel. Fairly easy job after thar

Back
Top Bottom