Slow Hand 2023 To Lake Superior and back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where are you planning to stage for the Erie canal? I hear Waterford docks are already full (not rafting yet) and sounds like the wall is going to fill up today possibly.

Not sure what I will do. I'll call this afternoon to see what the situation is at Waterford. If the dock and walls are full, I'll likely drop a hook somewhere North of Albany and South of C-2 bridge at Waterford. It may make more sense to anchor above Albany and be at the Troy lock for the 6AM locking.

Ted

I'd be tempted to slow down and let the first bunch go. Maybe arrive there Friday evening. Assuming that's opening day.

I'd be tempted to slow down and let the first bunch go. Maybe arrive there Friday evening. Assuming that's opening day.

That certainly would be good advice. However, I'm trying to make Port Huron by June 1st. I need to scoot across the Erie canal so I have weather days left for Lake Erie.

Ted

Who said Trawlers are slow!
Making a fast cruise there Buddy. Thanks for taking us along.

Cheers, John

Who said Trawlers are slow!
Making a fast cruise there Buddy. Thanks for taking us along.

Cheers, John

Yea this fast cruise part is getting old. Did 16 hours yesterday with it blowing 15 to 20, then 20 to 25, and finally gusts to 30 knots. Then it finally blew itself out. The good news was the fetch was only about 6 miles max.

Went to bed after anchoring at 9:30PM. Woke up at 3AM freezing, it's 36 degrees outside. :(

Ted

Well it was another hard day today. Underway at 5AM; entered the Troy lock at 6:15; tied to the Waterford wall at 7:15AM. Another 6 miles logged. :rolleyes:

Ted

Love this thread, keep ‘em coming. You will be up here before I can even get my boat clean!

And here I am stuck in the lazerette.

I’ll at least have the spider webs off it. I intend to wax it super well every year, but it doesn’t happen. The previous owner did an excellent job keeping her shiny, so I’ve got some slop to play with.

Plus with the kids, this boat will never be spotless. That’s ok!

Yea this fast cruise part is getting old. Did 16 hours yesterday with it blowing 15 to 20, then 20 to 25, and finally gusts to 30 knots. Then it finally blew itself out. The good news was the fetch was only about 6 miles max.

Went to bed after anchoring at 9:30PM. Woke up at 3AM freezing, it's 36 degrees outside. :(

Ted

Great trip all the same, eh? That suffering is what builds character!

Well it's been a busy couple of days. Friday morning was the opening of the Erie canal. You could smell the testosterone and sphincters in the air. The wind is blowing 25 knots and ego boats are jockeying in the narrow waterway an hour and a half before the lock gate opened. The experience level of the operators was inversely proportionate to the cost of the boats. Lots of near misses with boats tied to the dock. Oddly, it was a couple of women cussing other bone heads captains that got the attention of the spectators (Best shows in town are always free).

After the first 2 lock fulls of boats had departed, some of us still docked, filled the third lock of the day. The first 5 locks are in one and a half miles. So it becomes a test of civility and courtesy to play nice. By the fifth lock we were down 2 boats (no idea what happened to them). As the day wears on, more faster boats come up from behind you and tempers flare as people get waked.

Day two sees the numbers thinning and generally going from lock to lock with the same group with the occasional exception of some :censored: that wants to wake everyone as he passes at warp speed. Opening day should be left for the chest thumpers on a schedule. Tomorrow should be better as I will likely pass the turn for the Oswego canal. And with it, will go 70% of the traffic, most of the fast boats, and most of the 60'+ boats.

Friday I made it to lock 9 (MM 29). Today was better getting to lock 19 ( MM 95), just short of Utica, NY. For perspective, the Erie canal is 320 miles long and there are 35 locks. So half the locks are done and about 4 days to go (if you're pushing it). Btw, the Hudson river is tidal, more or less sea-level to Albany, NY. At lock 19 I'm about 404' above sea level.

And now for a few lock pictures:this is a lock next to a spillway. The level of the water above the spillway can be adjusted by raising or lowering the doors in the spillway.
20230520_074345.jpg

Here's my group going into the lock next to the spillway.
20230520_074438.jpg

This is the typical lock chamber (300' x 45').
20230519_192204.jpg

The lower door to the lock chamber. The shallow V that the door makes, points upstream.
20230519_192256.jpg

This is lock 17, the highest lift on the Erie canal at 40'. The downstream door lifts vertically. Something to think about as you drive under it (guillotine). In this picture the lock is dumping water in preparation for our group.
20230520_134603.jpg

Ted

Fascinating. Keep it coming Ted.

Sounds like fun, if you lived in south east Florida you would have plenty of practice with ********. Enjoy my friend.

Fascinating, Ted. The only locks here are on the Murray River, as far as I know, and the navigable section is ~2,000km—which I was unaware of until I saw your post! Thanks so much for the images and explanations.

Great progress, Ted! Having done the Erie canal a few times in my youth, your travel log brings back fond memories. Two questions:
1) In the 70's, as a kid, when locking-up, it was my job to climb the slimy ladder with the long line, put it around the bollard and drop the other end back down to the boat. Do boaters still have to do this? Or are there canal personnel that help now. I would think it would be a liability risk these days for NY State to have people climbing ladders in locks.
2) I think you are traveling alone (?). If so, how do you manage the locking-up scenario?

Great progress, Ted! Having done the Erie canal a few times in my youth, your travel log brings back fond memories. Two questions:
1) In the 70's, as a kid, when locking-up, it was my job to climb the slimy ladder with the long line, put it around the bollard and drop the other end back down to the boat. Do boaters still have to do this? Or are there canal personnel that help now. I would think it would be a liability risk these days for NY State to have people climbing ladders in locks.
2) I think you are traveling alone (?). If so, how do you manage the locking-up scenario?

Hi Scott,

All the locks have ropes hanging down to use. Some have cables and others have pipes that are recessed in the walls. I'll take some pictures and add another post about locking.

I'm traveling alone, so it adds some challenge. I'll cover that also in the locking post. Last year, between the Okeechobee waterway, Dismal Swamp canal, Erie canal, Oswego canal, Rideau canal, Trent Severn canal, Troy lock, and Sault Ste. Marie lock, I did over 200 lockings. :surrender:

Ted

Morning Ted. Following as well, as this is the route we will be taking later this year.
Safe travels.

One of the nice things about the Erie Canal is the lock chambers fill from the bottom center which pushes the boats to the walls. Other locks like on the Okeechobee waterway are end fill that pushes the boats toward the opposite end. It can be a little hairy if the lock master is in a hurry.

I have been following you on the Garmin MapShare link you provided at the start of this thread, Ted. Wow! You're really booking it!
MapShare is really nice, but it appears to be only for Garmin-specific products. From what I can determine, it would be very clunky to do anything similar with Navionics. Manual export of track data, upload to somewhere, etc. Does anyone know anything different? Is there a way to elegantly share routes using Navionics?
I use my log-book app to accomplish the same thing. It's not bad, but I like what I see on Garmin MapShare better!

There may be other ways of doing it, but the Garmin MapShare (originally a Delorme concept and product before Garmin bought them) is satellite tracked and information gathered. Doing it satellite versus cellular is a game changer and really limits the competition. Maybe with Starlink and at some point Amazon in the game, there will be other options.

Ted

So yesterday evening's docking choice wasn't particularly good.

This is the downstream end of Lock 19.
20230521_061347.jpg

Construction everywhere you look.
20230521_061409.jpg

20230521_061439.jpg

Behind you is a tunnel with a bridge over it. Wonder what the bridge is for?
20230521_061457.jpg

Tie up required some creativity. That 2 x 4 fence looks pretty sturdy. :facepalm:
20230521_061614.jpg

Do you think that bridge could be for the railroad? CSX was pretty busy till about dark.
20230521_064927.jpg

20230521_061759.jpg

So you might be asking why I didn't back track. Well there was a bunch of limbs and logs in the water and I just didn't feel like doing that stretch 2 more times.

So I survived the night and slept through the trains. In the morning the lock master needed to dump the chamber and asked me to back up through the tunnel. I was halfway back when he dumped the chamber. I needed to do a "back and fill move to get the boat straight, when the wall of water caught the boat and turned it sideways. :eek: Thankfully the tunnel was wider than my boat was long. Kept the boat perpendicular to the channel and the pulpit off the concrete wall. Got the boat turned around when I came out of the tunnel. The boat behind me got one of the best free shows.

Past the turn for the Oswego canal and traffic has dropped to near zero.
20230521_171407.jpg

To day was actually pretty good as far as traffic. Did 6 locks and there was only one other boat in 3 of them. Tonight I'm in Baldwinsville at a nice free dock in the park above the lock. You pay for electric if you want it, $5 for 30 amp, and $10 for 50 amp.

Ted

Ted, are you going through Buffalo on your voyage? I am a bit curious about the western Erie canal knowing it is a bit less traveled.

Ted, are you going through Buffalo on your voyage? I am a bit curious about the western Erie canal knowing it is a bit less traveled.

Yes, I'm taking the Erie canal to Tonawanda, turning to port on the Niagara River (starboard take you over Niagara Falls), through the Black Rock lock, and out onto Lake Erie.

Ted

Caught a glimpse of Slow Hand passing Pirates Cove yesterday evening while I was out there helping a friend get his boating season started.

Attachments

• PXL_20230521_205547200.jpg
    PXL_20230521_205547200.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 38
Hope I didn't wake you too badly. :rolleyes:

Ted

:rofl::rofl: Compared to how some of the local traffic on the canal behaves, I don't think trawler wakes are even a remote concern. I can't think of a single time when we've been in the canals and taken enough of a wake from another traveling boat to care at all (but we've been passed by locals running on plane plenty of times). And you appeared to be going pretty slow when you went by anyway. It was probably a good 30 seconds from when I first saw the boat to when I had the thought to take a picture and you weren't past the bridge yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom