smoke detectors - google nest protect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sndog

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about google nest protect smoke alarms on their boats.

Or is there a better recommendation?

I am looking at putting one each in the bedrooms (3), kitchen (1), engine room (1, maybe 2)

Would love to hear peoples thoughts

I have used these in several boats.

First Alert SA511CN2-3ST Wireless Interconnected Smoke Alarm with Voice Location, Battery Operated, Pack of 2 , WHITE

I have a smartthings hub on the boat that talks Zwave and Zigbee.

All of the first Alert smoke and Co detectors communbicate with the hub.

In any of them goes into alarm all the sirens on the boat sound and I get an alert on my iphone.

I have a smartthings hub on the boat that talks Zwave and Zigbee.

All of the first Alert smoke and Co detectors communbicate with the hub.

In any of them goes into alarm all the sirens on the boat sound and I get an alert on my iphone.

Why did you choose those over the nest units?

Why did you choose those over the nest units?

Smartthings is just one of several hube supporting Zwave and Zigbee wireless protocols. This puts hundreds of devices at my disposal from many manufacturers.

I honestly do not know the capability of Google Nest but I have been using smartthings for several years for monitoring, control and security.

Smartthings is just one of several hube supporting Zwave and Zigbee wireless protocols. This puts hundreds of devices at my disposal from many manufacturers.

I honestly do not know the capability of Google Nest but I have been using smartthings for several years for monitoring, control and security.

Smarthings is very interesting.

I opted for a commerical/residential central panel fire alarm system. Can't say it was the best or right choice, but I remain happy with it. I did it because the whole system is UL listed, and all the sensors are continuously monitored to be sure they are operational, including wireless sensors. This was important to me since wireless communications throughout a boat can be very sketchy.

I attempted to use wireless sensors everywhere, but the engine room and laz both had intermittent issues so I will be swapping them for wired versions. I have each sensor set up as a separate zone so if there is an issue it tells me exactly where it is. I even put detectors in the electrical cabinets and under the helm where all the nav electronics are located.

One thing to watch for is the temp rating for detectors that you plan to use in the ER. Many are only rated for use up to 100F. Others go to 120F, but that can still be too low for some ERs.

Dave, do all those go off if only one is in alarm? That is what I'd like but I'd like combo smoke/carbon monoxide units.

Thanks

I opted for a commerical/residential central panel fire alarm system. Can't say it was the best or right choice, but I remain happy with it. I did it because the whole system is UL listed, and all the sensors are continuously monitored to be sure they are operational, including wireless sensors. This was important to me since wireless communications throughout a boat can be very sketchy.

I attempted to use wireless sensors everywhere, but the engine room and laz both had intermittent issues so I will be swapping them for wired versions. I have each sensor set up as a separate zone so if there is an issue it tells me exactly where it is. I even put detectors in the electrical cabinets and under the helm where all the nav electronics are located.

One thing to watch for is the temp rating for detectors that you plan to use in the ER. Many are only rated for use up to 100F. Others go to 120F, but that can still be too low for some ERs.

Interesting idea, will you please share a photo or two?

We have 3 Google Nest Smoke & Co alarms. I'm very pleased with them after 3 years of mostly full time live aboard use. They feel like a quality item when you hold them or inspect them. My favorite feature besides, the app, them talking to each other, etc. is the fact that they make the very best motion based night light. When we get out of bed, the white cirle illuminates ever so softly, perfect for waking up in the dark. I would buy them again. I'm thinking we may add more and it looks like the price has come down.

Chris
SV Cosmos

Smoke alarms

Whatever you decide on, make sure that there is also CO2 included with the smoke alarms.

I've been looking at the First Alert SA511CN2-3ST Wireless Interconnected Smoke Alarm with CO2 but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

We do have a single smoke & CO2 alarm on board.

Let's peel apart the onion. As I see it, Nest brings you three key value points:
1) They're networked together. An alarm at one sets off the others.
2) They offer a pre-alarm function so you can handle kitchen smoke and similar without jumping straight to a full alarm. This makes solving the actual problem easier by avoiding the ear-splitting shriek.
3) They offer remote monitoring.

However, #3 has a dependency on reliable Internet connectivity. #1 may have a dependency on reliable wireless LAN connectivity (in other words, the wireless AP or APs remain functional close to 24/7). #2 probably still works without a reliance on #1 or #3. How good are you at LAN/WLAN networking? How often would you be changing your wireless uplink (e.g. from cell phone hotspot to marina Wifi to Starlink to KVH LTE or VSAT etc.)? How often would you be without Internet connectivity? I don't think Nest would be fun with unreliable/changing Internet. Also, if your wireless AP(s) would be offline with any regularity (e.g. if you shut down your inverter when you leave the boat), I'd strongly suggest some validation to ensure that the Nest units happily communicate wirelessly over something other than 802.11a/b/g/n/etc. You may find that all too often, the Nest units are glowing yellow to indicate a notification or red to indicate what it considers a fault, rather than the brief green glow of Nightly Promise.

Back
Top Bottom